Hard to handle on slippery and snowy roads - Ford Focus SE

I own a 2000 Ford Focus SE wagon, It is hard on tires and winter driving on slippery or snowy roads the car is all over the place. I have had wheel alignments and does not seem to fix the problem. Is anyone else had this problem out there.

Reply to
focus2000

You didn't replace the OEM tires with the same brand (they were some Firestone tire I think) did you? We have a 2000 Focus SE 4 door and the original tires were bad in the snow (rated last on tire racks site). We went with tires that were rated excellent for snow and rain and haven't had trouble since... Even in a nasty snowstorm where I could hear the snow dragging against the belly of the car the ruts were so deep I didn't get stuck...

I'll look tomorrow at what we have on there now.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

I have a 2001 Focus Wagon, and have no problem out here in the Canadian prairies. But I run snow tires on all 4 wheels. Also did you have a "4 wheel" alignment? I had trouble with a Escort and the 4 wheel alignment fixed it.

John G

You didn't replace the OEM tires with the same brand (they were some Firestone tire I think) did you? We have a 2000 Focus SE 4 door and the original tires were bad in the snow (rated last on tire racks site). We went with tires that were rated excellent for snow and rain and haven't had trouble since... Even in a nasty snowstorm where I could hear the snow dragging against the belly of the car the ruts were so deep I didn't get stuck...

I'll look tomorrow at what we have on there now.

Reply to
John Gangl

My problem is not that I do not have traction. I have driven cars with tires that had almost no tread in the snow that tract straight and as long as your tires weren?t spinning. With my Focus on the slippery roads it feels like the back end is trying to go one way and the front the other, I have to slow down and keep 2 hands on the wheel. I have had 4 wheel alignments and some suspension work done nothing seems to help.

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" wrote: > focus2000 wrote: > >I own a 2000 Ford Focus SE wagon, It is hard on tires and > winter > >driving on slippery or snowy roads the car is all over the > place. I > >have had wheel alignments and does not seem to fix the > problem. Is > >anyone else had this problem out there. > > You didn't replace the OEM tires with the same brand (they > were some Firestone > tire I think) did you? We have a 2000 Focus SE 4 door and the > original tires > were bad in the snow (rated last on tire racks site). We went > with tires that > were rated excellent for snow and rain and haven't had trouble > since... Even > in a nasty snowstorm where I could hear the snow dragging > against the belly > of the car the ruts were so deep I didn't get stuck... > > I'll look tomorrow at what we have on there now. > > -- > John Nelson > -------------------------------------------------------------- > --------------- > Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page >

> (A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and > Nothing to Sell)

Reply to
focus2000