Hello from newbie and 'run-in' question

Hi all, I'm new to this group but have used 'Lists' for years.

I'm just about to receive a brand new 2l diesel C-Max in Ghia trim, courtesy of the Motability scheme.

(Sorry chaps, you can stop dribbling now!:-)

I've seen various options for run-in regimes, with some recommending the 'drive it hard' school and most intending to optimise upper cylinder seal during the first 500 - 1000 miles of life by occasional hard use.

Can you add to this debate?

Mr Ford etc will swear that it should be driven gently. never reving anywhere near the limit until it's done at least the first thou'...

P.

Reply to
Peter
[...]

I think you will find Mr Ford will say "Avoid driving too briskly during the first 1,000 miles. Vary the speed frequently and avoid labouring the engine. If possible avoid full use of the brakes for the first 100 miles in town, and for the first 1,000 miles on motorways. From 1,000 miles onward gradually increase performance up to the maximum." Or something along those lines :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The consensus as I think it stands today is to *not*:

-accelerate hard,

-decelerate hard, and

-run at a constant speed/rpm for extended periods

for the first 1-2 thousand miles.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

As you correctly say its importnant to create some highist cylinder pressures to encourage ring to wall contact to bed in. Otherwise glazing can (and does) result and oil consumption, and poor running manifests..

Its important to allow the engine to warm up fully before putting it under high load, and equalliy, if not more important not to labour it, especially during its early days. This means changing down abit more than you might otherwise do. I would aim for 1500+rpm at all times during the first

2000miles or so. Running light should also be avoided especially at constant speed.

If it were my car, it would be receiving 80% of full power through the gears to a self imposed rev limit of 3000rpm for the first immediately for the first 500 miles 3or4 times per trip, and progressively further towards the red line thereafter upto 1500miles, and driving normally after that.

You must check the oil level very frequently to begin with until you establish how much its using, which could well be upwards of 2 litres in the first 1000miles. If its bedding in properly, this should start reducing pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

I'm looking forward to getting the vehicle in about 3 weeks, at present all I have is a (new) chassis number, although it should actually get built sometime this week. That'll be where the trouble starts! :-)

Thanks all

P.

Reply to
Peter