New focus II ventilation bad as in old focus?

I have numerous problems with ventilation in ford focus. Unfortunately it seems that all this is normal. First it always blows warm air especially in foot direction. Then cabin heat exchanger case is always so hot that you can't put your fingers on it. After numerous visits to the ford dealership they convinced me that all this is normal.

So it is normal to have heat dissipater in the car during summer when it is

30 C outside then it is normal that it is heating all the time and finally because of all this or something else windows are fogging immensely in these rainy days... If you have ac then it seems that air conditioning de facto cools down the stove (heat dissipater) and then you get cold air???? What kind of engineering is this?

So my question: Is ventilation system in Focus II any better. Otherwise focus is nice car but probably I would never again buy another one... Is there in Focus II still simple but faulty system that hot engine water pass through the cabin heat exchanger without any water valve all the time and making the car usles in mediteraneean climates because you have stove in front of you without air conditioning or with ac turned off.

Well there is an option: maybe I have faulty car but why then official service can't resolve the whole problem? Actually one of the answers was a lot of people complains about heating in focus without air conditioning but that is factory construction of heater and you can't do anything about it.

Last idea was to make modification on ford focus heating system and to put electromagnetic valve on water circle (tube) from the engine to the heat exchanger in the cabin. Would this mod in any matter influence on engine cooling? Maybe some engineer can comment on this.

Reply to
Dudo

In message , Dudo wrote

Why are you convinced by a dealer that has incorrectly repaired your heat exchanger, and probably damaged something else, that this is normal? Why are you still trusting an incompetent dealer?

The problems that you have previously written about are not normal.

If you haven't got A/C than the coldest air temperature that you are ever going to get will be equal to that of the outside air temperature.

Air over the heat exchanger is controlled by cable operated flaps. Do you get any difference in temperature with the heater controls turned to 'cold' and turned to 'hot'.

There is also a servo motor controlling flaps for air recalculation If this is not working then perhaps you are always getting the internal air being recalculated i.e. no outside air.

The early focus does suffer from fogging in extremely wet conditions and on later models the ventilation was improved.

Are you sure that the cabin/pollen filter cover is correctly fitted? It is common for dealers to incorrectly fit this cover and water gets into the ventilation system. The cover is on the passenger side of your windscreen and forms part of the bottom windscreen seal.

Furthermore, if fitted, and if the filter is blocked (with pollen, dust, leaves etc.) it will reduce the fresh air flow into the cabin leading to inefficient demising. In cheaper models the filter may not have been fitted during manufacture.

The A/C removes moisture from the incoming air stream.

In mid winter the A/C being selected (automatically) to remove moisture doesn't mean that you don't get hot air. It would be very poor engineering if you couldn't heat the interior of the car in cold weather.

Yes, that is the good bet.

It is not part of the routine 'service'. If the monkeys that are employed by your local dealership cannot find the fault by plugging in the OBD diagnostic reader than they will conclude that there is no fault and try and convince you that this is true.

Search the news archives at and you may find you are possibly the only one complaining, in many years, about the Focus heating working when switched off. Hardly a common problem.

Reply to
Alan
[snip oft-repeated crap]

The heat exchanger has been part of the engine cooling system on Fords right back to the 1960's. If you bypass it, your "cabin" might be cooler; your engine won't be!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to shout:

TAKE YOUR CAR SOMEWHERE ELSE AND GET IT FIXED. IT IS BROKEN. NO DETECTABLE HEAT SHOULD COME IN TO THE CABIN WHEN THE CONTROLS ARE SET TO COLD.

There, now I feel better :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for the answer I'll try once more to go to the dealer...

Yes on cold I get luke warm/warm air when turned to 'hot' is much warmer...

On year 2000 model is already improved or not? Could be improved?

Pollen Filter fitted changed few months ago by the same dealer...

Well I understand perfectly.

Actually I did search the google groups archive and this is what I have found (mentioned are ford focus and ford focus zts (american version of the same car) copy/paste:

Ventilation ZTS 2002 All 2 messages in topic - Vidi hijearhicno (tree view). Od: Helder Santos - view profile Datum: ned 15 Sep 2002 16:52 Email: "Helder Santos" Groups: alt.autos.ford.focus Not yet ratedRating: pokazi opcije Odgovor | Odgovori autoru | Proslijedi | Isprintaj | Zasebna poruka | Prikazi izvornik | Prijavi zlouporabu | Find messages by this author

Hi,

On my ZTS even if the outside air is fresh.... the ventilation gives me warm air. It is like the air is heated by the motor..... The only way to get fresh air is to turn on the A/C.

Is this normal?

Helder

Odgovor

Od: Flash - view profile Datum: pon 16 Sep 2002 02:48 Email: snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Flash) Groups: alt.autos.ford.focus Not yet ratedRating: pokazi opcije Odgovor | Odgovori autoru | Proslijedi | Isprintaj | Zasebna poruka | Prikazi izvornik | Prijavi zlouporabu | Find messages by this author

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:52:39 -0400, "Helder Santos"

wrote: >Hi,

Yes. the water moves thru the heater core at all times. The only thing that stops this air from getting to you is a flimsy little door vent. Turning on the AC gets the cold chamber (in the direct flow of the air) going which brings down the temp. The AC is literally cooling off the heater.... Bad design but cheap to make. Expensive to repair when they die.

Walt Brand - view profile Datum: pet 9 Jun 2000 00:00 Email: Walt Brand Groups: alt.autos.ford.focus Not yet ratedRating: pokazi opcije Odgovor | Odgovori autoru | Proslijedi | Isprintaj | Zasebna poruka | Prikazi izvornik | Prijavi zlouporabu | Find messages by this author

noticibly warmer than I expected it to be.

This is an annoyance on my ZX3 (ford fcus american model) as well. Engine heat seems to leak past the HVAC diverter doors (you can hear one slam closed when you quickly turn the temp control to full cold). Ductwork/heater-core box not sufficiently insulated?

Walt Brand

Sent via Deja.com

Before you buy.

Vents are pulling from engine compartment All 10 messages in topic - Vidi hijearhicno (tree view). Od: Tony B - view profile Datum: uto 18 Jul 2000 00:00 Email: "Tony B" Groups: alt.autos.ford.focus Not yet ratedRating: pokazi opcije Odgovor | Odgovori autoru | Proslijedi | Isprintaj | Zasebna poruka | Prikazi izvornik | Prijavi zlouporabu | Find messages by this author

Has anyone noticed how much warmer the air through the vents are when the A/C is not on, at least compared to the outside air.

I heard somewhere that the vents are pulling air from inside the engine compartmnet, if so, does anyone know of a mod that will get the air intake to either the cowl or the front of the car?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Odgovor

Od: stanky73 - view profile Datum: uto 18 Jul 2000 00:00 Email: snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com Groups: alt.autos.ford.focus Not yet ratedRating: pokazi opcije Odgovor | Odgovori autoru | Proslijedi | Isprintaj | Zasebna poruka | Prikazi izvornik | Prijavi zlouporabu | Find messages by this author

I have noticed this as well. Service dept said that is just how the car is designed. Thank god I got AC!!!

Sent via Deja.com

Before you buy.

Odgovor

begin 666 dot_clear.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

begin 666 r.gif M1TE&.#EA"P`+`)$#```+U+#Q__^_X/___R'Y! $```,`+ `````+``L```(7

9G(\CD2C F@)0/FHI3I?&TV55\WR
Reply to
Dudo

Well it is true on most of the cars but 90% of the cars have water valve so that hot water don't get into heat exchanger when it should not (when you need fresh air )

Thanx I 'll try once again....

Me too :-)

Btw. Anyone knows something about ventilation system in new focusII?

Reply to
Dudo

Don't go to the dealer but go to a DIFFERENT dealer because your dealer proved something: he can't solve your problem.

If you search the internet you will always find somebody with the same problem but that doesn't proof anything only that there are a lot of cars sold.....................

Reply to
Thibaud Taudin Chabot

Thanks Alan for the reply I have some scientific :-) follow up. This afternoon I took digital thermometer in to the car. Outside temperature was

18 C. Temperature on the foot ventilation openings was 33-35 C when vent was on 1 and air temp on cold.

Tomorrow would go to another dealer. Anyone have idea what is causing this? It seems that they have to remove the whole instrument panel to service this is that true?

Regarding some ventilation modification recall about fogging somebody mentioned on early ford focus is it posible to do it on ford expense on car from year 2000 or not? Or maybe they already improved that on year 2000 cars?

Reply to
Dudo

In alt.autos.ford.focus Dudo :

How often do you want to resend this question? It has been pointed out by numerous people, numerous times to you that this is *not* normal! And the most likely reason is some fault during repair of your heating system.

Iirc, never ever kill-filled anyone in this group, but it looks as if you are working hard on it...

Good luck

Reply to
Michael Heiming
[...]

I'm not sure where in the world you are located, but if your local dealer refuses to fix an obvious fault that he has caused it seems unlikely that he will help you with a modification on a six-year old car.

For your information, the modification consists of replacing the resistor pack that controls the ventilation fan speeds. This makes the fan run slightly faster on the lower speed settings. There are also modifications made to the air exit in the region of the rear bumper. I believe others (Michael?) have posted here to the effect that it doesn't make much of an improvement.

The TSB number for this is 024/1999, and it is dated 04/2000, so your car may or may not be affected.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Indeed, in addition I didn't got it on fords expense. I bought the parts and mounted them on my own!

Yep. I put the modifications in place, iirc 15 Euro parts and about 20-30 minutes work with a little experience. You don't need to remove the rear bumper to exchange.

It helps slightly, the front window fogs still up pretty fast in heavy rain, before all windows fogged up...

The real problem is the faulty design of the pollen filter enclosure. I have remove it lately to check and have to admit, it is more or less luck if this (joke) construction should be leak-proof.

Especially if you are in an area where it can rain in ten minutes more then in other place in a complete year...

Lately the fan belt cracked up on the highway due to extreme heavy rain and I had to turn of front window heating as voltage dropped down below 12V. But as I had already turned on A/C it wasn't much of a problem regarding fogged up front window...

"Seit dem 10.11.1999 (Baucode XM) werden in der Produktion geaenderte Abdeckungen - Zwangsentlueftung und seit dem 06.12.1999 (Baucode XP) ein geaenderter Widerstand - Geblaesemotor eingebaut."

However dates are regarding European Focus, dunno how it affects some Focus build in the USA?

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Thank you people for all your answers I know I was borring with this problem but today we have conclusion :-)

Today I went to another dealer (It is fifth visit to the official ford dealership) and he takes a look.

He measures air temperature of 34 degrees Celsius at ventilation exit on cold position.

He said that maybe something is wrong but most likely it is everything ok with the

car because on another car vents he measured also around 30C. He said that all this is probably because of design where heater is in the cabin. And that he don't have anything to fix.

On my way home after 1 hour drive I measured air temperature of 39.5 degrees Celsius on ventilation exits. This must be really joke of design. For those who meassure temperature in F 39,5 C is about 104 F

Only possible conclusion is that cold, fresh air in ford focus has temperature of 39.5 C / 104 F. :-)

Anyone more suggestions?

Regarding another ford focus joke construction of pollen filter.... It is sunny day today...So ... I was happy... no problems at all with fogging windows.

Reply to
Dudo
[...]

None that you'd care to hear...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

LOL...Seems like. Don't care that much, as I already tested this out on my Focus some weeks ago to see if my Focus would support the theory and there was just a difference of about 1-3C between my outside thermometer (sensor behind front bumper) and a small LCD thermometer with the sensor plugged into the center vents.

Which might just be measure faults or simply the different position. In any case nothing significant which would support the OP theory at all.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Well going five times to different official ford dealers and allways hearing it is normal/ or simmilar junk is just enough for me. If you have another bright idea to go to another ford dealer for the sixth time plese keep your wise idea for yourself....

Reply to
Dudo

Thanks Michael anyway I gave up... ford dealers I wisited are useles...Are there any ford customer satisfaction center or anything where I can send any feedback or simmilar service before I sell the car? Speaking for europe, I'm currently situated in Croatia.

Reply to
Dudo

Tell the dealer that the car belongs to Slobodan Milosevic and that he wants it fixed properly, immediately!

Don

Reply to
Don McC

In alt.autos.ford.focus Dudo :

How should I know? I'd check out your drivers manual for information or/and just drop Ford a note how to get help.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

there is topic on Ford Fan Club, concernig same problem

you have to register first

Reply to
Chipps

See the Toyota Corolla.