another newbie question

Another dumb newbie question...

How does the overall reliability and longevity of a subaru compare to that of, say, a Toyota or Honda? I've never owned a Subaru but have had very good luck with other Japanese brands. I've come to expect to get about

160K miles on one before starting to require non-scheduled maintenance.

Thanks in advance, DB

Reply to
Doppelbock

With the exception of the recent head gasket issues (which are warranty items) the reliability and longevity should be on par. Fit and finish and ergonomics are little below the two mentioned.

-Kurt

D> Another dumb newbie question...

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

Subaru is good. From March 2005 Consumer Reports:

"The most reliable brand overall is now Subaru, which averages eight problems per 100," Consumer Reports said. It noted that Honda Motor Co. Ltd., long a reliability leader, now averaged nine problems per 100."

CR compared Subaru to Honda and Toyota, but given that Subaru is an all-wheel drive vehicle, it's not a perfect comparison. Nevertheless, Subaru came out on top.

-LK

Reply to
lkreh

That's odd, my April 2005 "the car issue" rates Subaru 4th in new-car reliability behind Scion, Lexus and Toyota. Page 18. TG

Reply to
TG

Not odd, just some imprecision ;-)

The page 18 figure refers to estimated reliability for 2005 models.

The (slightly misquoted) quote from page 16 is for 2004 models---it actually says "most reliable

2004 brand overall", and is based on reporting from CU's lastest subscriber's survey.
Reply to
CompUser

Here's the article from money:

lkreh