How do I change driving light bulb on a 2002 Ford Focus?!?!!

Hi,

I have an import Ford Focus 2002 series with a pre-2002 series owners manual and I am seriously scratching my head to a sore mess trying to work out how to change the bulbs, namely the main beam on the nearside.

I can remove the catch the open the 'back door' on the light cluster but can only move the door so far before it catches on the battery tray.

I have tried unbolting the two bolts on the top of the light cluster but on trying to remove it the radiator trim gets in the way.

I don't want to have to remove half the front grill of my 18 month old car just to replace a bulb and the local Ford dealership has just closed down!

Any ideas anyone, before I confuse myself anymore!

Thanks in advance

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Ha! Join the club. I spent four hours changing my bulbs the first time I did it. The manual says simply to remove the cover by hinging it outwards. Fine on one side, but not on the other, as you've just found out. I figured I had to be doing something wrong, but eventually gave up and figured out you need to remove the battery, remove the screws from the battery holder, and then hold it to one side while you remove the light cluster door. Straight forward enough, if rather annoying just to change a bulb...

Be careful with the spring clip that holds the bulb in place. It's easily dislodged, and it's a bit feutery trying to get it back.

What's your engine out of curiosity. I have a TDCi and figured I have this problem because there's not a lot of room left under the bonnet. I figured petrols might be easier to change.

Hope this helps.

Gary.

Reply to
Gary McClean

Hi Gary,

Yep, its a TDCi as you guessed. To say the least its a bit cramped in there what with the turbo and (in my Ghia) the air con unit.

I did speak to (not my local) a Ford garge - I've ordered a new owners manual off of them which is taking ages to come in - and they suggested that I had to take the two top bolts off of the light cluster and another one from beneath the car. I'd already worked out the two top bolts myself but from under the car was a new one to me. See if you can find it from under the car, I couldn't - there is too much under car protection and other parts of the engine to get anywhere near the light cluster from underneath.. answers on a postcard maybe!

The Ford guy did say that the new Mondeo's suffered from the same problem.

Thanks for your help. I'll be changing it today.

Regards,

Ed

Reply to
Eddie

Just be thankfull you don't have a new fiesta then - the ONLY way to change the bulbs on either side is to remove the whole headlight unit!

Reply to
Alan

Woohoo, it worked!

Slightly slowed down by not having a long enough extension on my socket set to remove the battery 'holding' bolt but other than that plain sailing!

Thank you!

Ed

Reply to
Eddie

Ditto for the aircon. There's no room in there for ANYTHING. All they had to do was make the headlamp covers twist off like the older Focus model. Or at least slide off. Pain in the butt, cos it means you can't change the bulbs at the roadside if needs be. Both mine went at the same time Sat week ago evening. I was due to go out, and couldn't! If I'd been out I'd have had to get the car towed back or else waited overnight! Lol. Annoying design flaw. I was always meaning to write and complain about it, for whatever good it will do.

Incidentially, I used to use Philips Vision Plus and Osram Silver Star bulbs, but find they keep blowing after 4 months. Besides the higher cost, there's also this hassle to consider, so I stuck normal bulbs in the other week.

It says in the owners manual just to slide the cover outwards, as you'd expect. It DOESN'T say this is impossible on the battery side... that's why I feutered around for hours the first time. I'd be interested to see if yours says anything different.

I didn't want to do this in case it affected the headlamp alignment. Never been under my car, but looking at it from the top, I dont see how on earth you'd gain access to that on a TDCi without a whole lot of hassle!

Hmm. And Alan mentioned the Fiesta too. Rather disturbing trend!

Gary.

Reply to
Gary McClean

With the Mondeo, the manual says you have to remove the whole headlamp assembly in order to change a side light bulb. The headlamp alignment then needs to be checked!! Not very convenient if you need to replace a bulb at the roadside.

Tim

Reply to
Tim