Vehicle speed sensor

Anyone know how to remove the vehicle speed sensor?

The Haynes manual mentions the removal of a retaining pin, the only pin I can see looks like a roll pin below the sensor. This looks to be very difficult to access.

I've posted this before, but no replies - is it that difficult to do?

TIA

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Manual or automatic?

I have the Ford service manual on CD, I haven't been able to find a 'vehicle speed sensor', there is a sensor on the automatic transmission called an 'output shaft sensor' which might be it.

All it says is to remove the electrical connector and to remove the bolt holding it in.

HTH

Reply to
Mark Olson

Thanks for your reply.

The vehicle is a manual, but I can't see a bolt or any other type of fastener apart from the roll pin.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You are correct- the roll pin secures the VSS and yes, they are abit of a nightmare to get at to knock out the pin with a punch....

Is your VSS faulty?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Thanks Tim.

Yes, the speedo dives to zero and the engine tends to cut out as you stop.

Sometimes it happens two or three times a day, sometimes it goes a week without happening. It's starting to become annoying so I thought I'd sort it.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Definately faulty VSS- but check the multiplug first for a good connection.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I found it easist to grip the roll pin with a good pair of mole grips and hit the grips with a hammer - with a LOT of swearing and time it does finally pull the pin out.

MC.

connection.

Reply to
Mark C.