Intermitant loss of power

Hey guys,

Hope someone can help. I've got a 1998 1.8ltr focus (UK). Recently when in traffic it is losing power, if I hit the accelerator to the floor I can usually stop it stalling but the revs dont rise and the car almost kangaroos as it tries to pull forward. After a few seconds (up to about 15) it will pick up and be normal. Previously before I realised I could keep the engine running by hitting the accelerator it would stall. Quick flick of ignition and it would be back to life again with no problems.

Any idea of what the problem may be?

Thanks

Reply to
eyup

Three suspects imho:

  1. vss (speed sensor)
  2. battery (or alternator)
  3. earthing Probably cheaper to check in reverse order. Regards
Reply to
Mike Walsh

thats my weekend sorted! Cheers for the reply.

Reply to
eyup

If it was a failing VSS, would the OP not have noticed the speedo dropping to zero on some occasions?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Not seen that, just my fuel level indicator does from time to time when I know it has plenty in. No problems previously, guess 8 years is limit before it all starts failing!

Reply to
eyup

Not the VSS then ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Look for Fuel Pump Mudule or power short circuit under battery juntion Box

Reply to
Granado