Intermittent Idle Problem

Hi,

My year 2000 UK Focus has developed an intermittent fault.

Normally it's when the engine is warm, and I've been travelling above

60mph.

When I take my foot off the accelerator, the car will keep going at roughly the same speed. If I dip the clutch, the engine can race to as high as 4000rpm.

Could this be the ISCV I keep seeing references to?

thanks in advance Phil

Reply to
fusionlad

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

No, its more likely to be a problem with the throttle position sensor.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I had/have a similar problem but only in 1st gear-the throttle will stick in 1st and race away-I have taken it back to Ford 5 times and they tell me there is no problem-a guy on here said it was the sensor being worn-sounds very dangerous though at 60!

Reply to
Paul Johnson

If the car is on the warm up say no more than a couple of minutes from cold start, then this is normal and is a peculiarity of the ECU software.

If it still does it when hot then you have a problem, possibly with the TPS.

1.8 and 2.0 cars are most affected.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

thanks for the replies guys. I took out the TPS and just sprayed it with cleaner, put it back in, and it seems to have solved the problem for now.

I don't know if I'm imagining it, but it seems a bit nippier around town now, a bit more responsive.

Is this possible?

Ta

Phil

Reply to