Intermittent idle problem with 93 JGC

This is an annoying, intermittent idle problem with my

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.2L V8).

The engine will start just fine but the idle RPM will almost immediately drop to zero with the engine of course stalling.

Giving extra gas in idle will not keep the engine running for long. The RPMs swing up and down in a fight between wanting to stall and the extra gas but it always stalls out within a few seconds.

If I can get the transmission in drive and start moving before the engine stalls, the engine behaves just fine and I can drive as normally. Within a quarter mile or so of running, I can even idle at standstill with out problems. However, if I turn off the engine, the idle problem will very likely return immediately.

This problem is intermittent and it can go months with no problems. When this problem occurs, it will persist from one engine start to up to a few days.

I'm worried that one day soon I won't be able to get it into drive and will be stuck.

Does this look like an idle flow sensor probelm?

Thanks for any help in this.

Reply to
buddog

buddog did pass the time by typing:

Odds are your idle air passage and idle air solinoid are all crudded up. Grab a can of O2 sensor safe throttle body cleaner and clean the idle air passage.

ref, the I6

Also it could be fuel pressure, how long has it been since you replaced the fuel filter?

Reply to
DougW

Thanks. I'll try that.

I bought the Jeep a year ago so I have no idea when if ever.

Reply to
buddog

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III