iPOD connection to CD6000 head unit at no cost??

Is there a simple and cheap way to connect an iPod to a factory-fitted Ford head unit (it's a 6000 - type)? I know that there are proprietary cables on the market, but is there a simple bodge connection(s) that will persuade the head to accept the audio output from the iPod? I'm not wanting to have the head unit do anything clever like track changing - just volume up and down will do ;o)

TIA Pete

Reply to
PC

Nope - no simple way, other than using a cheapo (and illegal) FM modulator/transmitter so that your iPod appears as a broadcast radio station - you will not get quality but will get sound with occasional interference.

You need some kind of 'CD-Changer' lead to do this properly. That means it has a microcontroller built in to do the protocol conversion.

Reply to
news.blueyonder.co.uk

This is what you want:

straight into the CD changer connector on your factory fit headunit.... They do a nice mounting bracket too, which attatches to your focusheater vent, with no tools required. Gary

Reply to
Gary Pigott

Mmmm,

Thanks guys, I was hoping for some info that involved a soldering iron and no cash ;o)

The custom-made solution is fine and I believe it works well but costs circa £80, and I'm too cheap for that - lol!

If I could get hold of a wiring diagram for the head unit, I'd have a go at this myself.

Thanks for the info.

Regards, Pete

Reply to
PC

That looks pretty cool. Is there just the one connector for the docking port or is there another one in the headphone/remote port too. The generic (doesn't look like any Ford I've seen!) picture seems to show a grey connector in the top port too. Anyone got any better pictures?

LJ

Reply to
LJ

Look at the ice-link reviews, I'm a bit concerned that there might be a problem related to ignition/alternator noise finding its way into the audio side of the iPOD when charging via the car electrics....

Regards, Pete

Reply to
PC

Nope - no simple way, other than using a cheapo (and illegal) FM modulator/transmitter so that your iPod appears as a broadcast radio station - you will not get quality but will get sound with occasional interference.

You need some kind of 'CD-Changer' lead to do this properly. That means it has a microcontroller built in to do the protocol conversion.

Reply to
news.blueyonder.co.uk

Pete

easiest way is to use an iTrip in the top of your iPod, and tune your radio in to that. I have heard of a connector for the iPod to allow you to use it instead of a multi changer (a friend of mine in germany has one in her a4) but I can't remember off hand who makes it....

Cheers

Ben

Reply to
ben

actually, have a look at this

this company seem to have a lot of ipod connectors.....

Reply to
ben

The Denison Ice>Link is what you're after:

Connects right into the CD-changer connector in your head unit, and they support the Ford CD6000.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Pigott

But costs more than an iTrip...

Reply to
Mark Scott

but costs as much as the iPod itself, or 10 iTrips!

Reply to
Mark Scott

...So does a CD changer..... I have an iTrip, with the iPod sitting in a Belkin TuneDok (a very nice way to mount your iPod in a spare cup holder), and it's fine but...... the sound quality isn't great. It's not even as clear as a good FM radio station reception (which is to be expected). The only way to get a good clean signal, that will come close to the audio quality that an iPod is capable of, is a direct connection, either to an external AUX connection on your head unit (if you're lucky), one of those tape adapters, or a neat link to the CD changer connector. All those cables hanging out of the dash is a pain. Only the CD changer option adds the ability to change tracks using the controls on the head unit or steering wheel.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Pigott