1997 Maxima: iPod Direct to Radio?

I have an ipod and have been using the commonly used tape adapater and would like to install a direct digital connection for my iPod into my Maxima's stereo (similiar to how I use my iPod w/ my home stereo). Anybody have any suggestions, tips, or idea on how much this could cost?

I'd like to keep my Maxima for another 5+ years so it makes sense to me to install this functionality into the car so I can have a pure digital connection between my iPod and the car's Bose stereo.

bounce, rock, rollerskate!

-diro the A-T-L

Reply to
diro

I posted similar question a year or two ago for my 2002 Max and got mostly lame response. You will not be able to connect digitally. However, if you're willing to risk it, one way to do this is to find out the input wire to the audio amplifier (before the volume control (if you're lucky and have an ANALOG volume control, this is the center pin of the 3 terminal potentiometer). you can then tap this and install an audio input jack that would disconnect whatever source it is coming from and inject your iPod audio through it. Alternately, you can easily find the "tape head" input wire, BUT this is a very low level signal in the millivolt range, so your iPod will probably blow the tape input amplifier if you drive it directly from the iPod. You have to reduce your signal level way down using a power divider circuit. I think you're better off buying an aftermarket radio/cd that already has an audio input jack for such purpose. Another bonus, this radio will probably be MP3 ready, thus you can burn a CD with MP3 files, and have about a hundred song in one CD ( assuming 6 MB per song, and CD capacity of 600MB). My recollection, Nissan Bose radio is not MP3 capable until 2003/2004 model.

Reply to
cmdrdata

Try this;

Also, if your car has a CD changer input, there are resources on the net that I have found to make adapters to feed the headphone output of your ipod into the CD changer input.

the mp3 your car output is best, as it is digital, and the CD changer is very good b/c it alsmot as good as line out. Both these methods blow away FM transmitter and cassette adapters.

I cant find the link for the CD changer output, but Google it. It's out there.

CD

Reply to
codifus

J. Johnson

Hey that is a great link you posted. I will mod mine soon too. Thanks a bunch.

Reply to
cmdrdata

What up? I live in the A and have a 96 Max GLE. I was concerned about the sound quality with my tape adapter but I haven't heard any real differences. The only things I did was kept the equalizer settings on the Pod the same and adjusted the volume on up on my Pod and down on my stereo to eliminate the hissing. I just try to remember that when I go back to the radio.

By the way, if you are a do-it-yourself owner like me, I would love to talk to you about your experiences. I have about 288k on mine so I may have more experiences than you.

Reply to
Charlie 3

audio input jack for such

Thanks - I think I'm going to go this route; seems the cleanest, most cost effective means to reach my goal.

Reply to
diro