Key programming

The wife purchased a new key the other day for her 2001 Focus from a Ford dealership, but we cannot program it as explained in the car manual.

Our local none Ford garage said we need to use a computer to program the new key.

For £65 you would think the dealer would program the key for nowt, but they want a further £40 to program the key.

That works out quite expensive just for a key.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

Did you read the part in the owner's handbook that says you need two working keys to program another?

BTW, later Fords, and many other vehicles, can only be dealer-programmed regardless.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

We have two working keys but it doesn't say anything about having two *remote* keys, we have one remote and one standard Ford none remote key.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

Can you confirm what you are trying to achieve?

Are you trying to get a third non-remote key to start the car, or are you trying to get a third remote key to work the central locking?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I am trying to get a remote key to work properly on the car with an old none remote as spare.

We did manage to get the new remote key to unlock and lock the car but this new key would not start the car.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull