focus spare key

I have 2 keys for my focus one a emergency key with a blue bit on it and the other a radio remote one.

From what I google this is all I need to program a third key ?

Is it a case just getting a new key blade cut, new keyfob part and them turn a working key in the ignition 4 times to position II and then wait for the chirp and then insert new key and do the same wait for chirp and thats it ?

Or have a missed a blindingly obvious step ?

Seems good if I have it right as my old car cost me £130 at VW for a new key!

This method is like £5 for a blank horse shoe part of the key and £15 for the keyfob £7 for cutting and the rest I do, a spare for £27 seems good!

Timpson said they can supply and do it all for £50 which isn't that bad! but if I can do it myself cheaper ....

Reply to
IanFord

[...]

You've forgotten one vital piece of information; what year?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Haha again! sorry Chris its a 2004 and I think classed as a mk 1.5

Reply to
IanFord

As long as you have two correctly coded keys, you can program a third using the information in the handbook (page 97 in mine).

However, this procedure is to enable the PATS part of the key to be recognised by the ECU, allowing the key to start the car. Because you mention the "horseshoe shaped" part, are you intending to get a second remote key? If so, the procedure in the handbook won't align the remote part of the key with your car.

Post if you need information regarding key remotes.

If you don't need the services of a locksmith that has key programming (as you would if you only had one working key), it might be cheaper if you can find a small independent locksmith to cut the key. You can also buy them either cut, or blank, on eBay.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Afternoon Chris :-)

Thats right I have 2 working keys one a remote key with a part number of

98ag15k601ad 725 and wanted to code another remote key from thhe 2 working keys. One of those keys is the emergency blue tagged one.

I read page 9 also in mine that outlines the way to carry out this procedure seems fairly straight forward.

That sounds a problem for me as I'm trying to make a remote key backup. Is it possible for me to align the remote part of the key with my car ?

My plan was to find the correct remote key with above part number on ebay with a blank. Get the blank cut at a locksmiths, then carry out the the key-programming part described in the manual which is now looking like it won't work.

I'd be grateful of help with the remote part of this.

Thanks

Reply to
IanFord
[...]

As standard, it's possible to do so. However, it's an option that can be removed with Ford programming equipment by a dealer. You won't know if it will work on your car until you try.

You need to follow the procedure for key *programming* on page 93 of the handbook. (Not key coding, on page 97.) Chances are it will work. If it doesn't work as a remote key, it will still be codable as a spare.

If you are getting the parts from eBay, it's possible to get the key cut. There are traders that will do it from a close-up photo of the key, or you can learn to read it yourself.

The key has 6 cuts,starting from the one nearest the handle,working down to the last cut which is towards the end of the key.The key begins with T which stands for Tibbe, (the type of the key).

So look at the first cut,if it is uncut it is a 1. If it is cut all the way down it is a 4. (It is handy if you have 2s and 3s on the key because if there's not, they can be hard to differentiate.)

So you should have a key number like T124324 for example.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[snip]

The DIY key programmig didn't work on my wife's 2001 focus when I renewed a key, I had to have it programmed at a garage, it cost me nearly 50 quid.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

I managed it on my 2003 Focus, coded to the PATS and remote locking too. Not an Ebay fob, but a Ford one. Was also able to set the remote unlocking to just unlock the drivers door with one push of the unlock button on the remote, two presses opened all doors. Also set it to auto lock when driving off. These two features were for my wife's benefit, it made her feel safer when alone in the car.

One feature was to turn on the ignition and then, within five or ten seconds, lock and unlock the driver's door four or five times with the internal handle. I cannot remember what this enabled now.

Reply to
David

Must be a model difference because even with a genuine Ford key we still could not get the key accepted in anyway or form, hence having it done at a garage, unfortunately I don't know how it was done I was hoping to be present to enquire or at least watch how it was programmed. ISTR the garage saying they used a computer to programme the keys.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull
[...]

Not sure what function you were trying to enable, but if you have two keys that will start the car, it is *always* possible to enable a third key to start it.

If you only have one key that starts the car, you have to get a second key programmed by a dealer, or a locksmith. Even high street chains can do this now, although they are not always much cheaper than a dealer.

If you were trying to get the locking/unlocking functions of a new remote key working, that will also be possible as long as the ability to do so has not been specifically disabled by a dealer since manufacture. (One thing that can catch you out is that during the process, you must include any previously-working remote keys.)

As long as you have a working remote key, you can change its mode of operation so that one press unlocks all the doors, or just the driver's door.

US cars have drive-off locking enabled by default; a dealer may be able to enable this on a UK car, but it's hardware-dependent.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

We had two working keys available, one plain and one with the remote buttons, we bought a new Ford key to replace the old battered original Ford key, we could program the new key to unlock the doors and tailgate but it would not start the car.

I did spend some time trying before taking it to my local garage to program, can't explain why it would not program properly.

I remembered to add the other keys.

Reply to
stephen.hull

This is perfectly possible on any UK car with remote fob, once you have put the CDL system into service mode with the pin-switch pressing x5 routine.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..
[...]

Some instruction say x5, some x3; neither worked on a '99 car.

Purely out of interest, I've just tried it on an '03 car, and it worked. That was using x3 in each case.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan