LOUD on startup!

We have a 2000 Focus (140 thousand miles), and when we start it up it sounds like the fan is going to jump right out of the compartment, the cat/converter is loose, or maybe the entire motor will explode. Last night it was about 18F, and it took about 10 miles of driving to get it to quiet down. I'm going to open the hood, and feel the various intake areas today, but what could this be? Should I briefly put my foot on the exhaust pipe? We were told it has a sloooow transmission fluid leak, and the fluid has never been drained, etc. It seems to be at "full" when I check... any help greatly appreciated :+)paul snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

2000 Focus 1982 Ford F-100 Atlanta area
Reply to
paulmbedard

Did you just buy this poor beast? Someone has been neglecting routine maintenance, including the brake problem in your other post. This is probably a failing junction between the manifold and the exhaust system. At

140k miles you are probably overdue for an entire new system.
Reply to
Dave Gower