maximum load for factory roof rack on 2000 wagon

I would be carrying a maximum of two sea kayaks that have a total weight of about 130lbs (60kg) and thankfully due to hull design, minimal wind loading.

Is this within the acceptable range for the factory roof rack on these vehcles?

Reply to
Corrie Davis

LOOK in your owners manual it will be in there

Reply to
badraptor

I do not have a owner's manual as I do not yet own the vehicle - I should have mentioned this. This is a factor in my decision making process.

Reply to
Corrie Davis

Reply to
badraptor

My 2000 Wagon owner's manual says the roof rack maximum load is 100kg.

HTH

Reply to
Mark Olson

With Thule cross bars I've had no problems with wind loads on two whitewater kayaks at speeds up to 140kph on my Focus wagon. Even on my old Toyota Corolla coupe using Yakima racks (no factory racks) with a very short spread, I had no problems transporting two 18' marathon racing canoes at similar speeds. Don't underestimate wind loads in a crosswind, no matter how "slippery" your hulls are; those are long boats you have. I even had three Royalex whitewater boats (major weight) artfully piled on top of my poor old Fiesta, using el-cheapo racks and yellow polyester rope. I was young and stupid. Not that I would recommend it, but it worked. You'll be fine with proper kayak cradles (to be nice to the hulls, not because of the car) and good quality cam-lock straps.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

I have all gear associated with my thule racks to fit my VW (cradles, cam locking straps bow and stern tie downs etc.) and likewsie I have carried far heavier weights and bulky items in the past on that rack as it really becomes a part of the car when proeprly attached. I hadn't thought about the cross windloading - thanks for reminding me.

Does Thule make cross bars to fir the Focus factory rack?

Reply to
Corrie Davis

My cross bars are from Thule, but the same Thule crossbars fit every wagon with factory roof rails, so they are not specific to the Focus.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

should have your answer.