Noisy Tach

I've been hearing a "whistle" from my '06 wagon that rises and falls with the engine RPMs. After ruling out anything under the hood, I'm pretty positive that it is the tachometer. Is this driven by a cable or is it entirely electronic??

Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Holmes

Entirely electronic.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's electronic. I can't see any reason why it should be making this noise. Since it's behind a plastic cover and the cluster panel, the sound would be impossible to localize. I'm guessing the cause is something in the engine compartment (belt maybe) that just happens to be transmitting in such a way as to sound like it's coming from the cluster.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I thought belt or some sort of vacuum leak but I (and two mechanics) can't hear anything under the hood.

If I stick my head beneath the dash, however, it's loud and clear. It's definitely inside the car.

Reply to
Dave Holmes

there is vacuum under your dash in the hvac system... possibly there?

Reply to
sn00p

It does SOUND like a leak of some sort - can you tell me more about the vacuum? Where is it?

Reply to
Dave Holmes

"Dave Holmes" wrote

OK, this makes more sense now. There are two ways that rev-related noise could be getting inside the car that I can think of off-hand. One would be through the clutch linkage if it's a manual. The other could be through the throttle cable. Wonder if there's a loose grommet in the firewall?

Reply to
Dave Gower

"Dave Gower" wrote

Third one just occurred to me: shift linkage.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Clutch actuation is hydraulic.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Reply to
Dave Holmes

Which leave two candidates in my mind: the throttle linkage and the transmission control cable. If either one is loose, it could make a noise. I'm not saying I feel confident that's it, merely I can't think of anything else.

You might want to pose your question on the alt.autos.ford newsgroup. There's a lot more technically savvy people there, and that's where I go to post any advanced questions I might have.

Reply to
Dave Gower