replacing coil pack

Hi there. From looking at previous posts I think I have the "coil pack" problem. This evening on a 60 mile round trip, the engine warning light started flashing and the engine started to run rough. I nursed the car home with the problem increasing in intensity.

My question concerns the ease with which the coil pack can be accessed and replaced. Is this something a competent DIYer with some basic tools can do, or is it a job best left to a professional?

I think I can get the coil pack from a local parts shop, so that won't be a problem.

TIA for any advice

LouisB

------ "I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

Reply to
LouisB

its held in by 4 torx bolts(t25 i think) not a big job at all 20 mins max

Reply to
ford_technical_

Thanks. Just been inspecting it.

I can see three bolts but the third looks a bit difficult. Do you have to take out the air filter holder and pipes and stuff?

LouisB

Reply to
LouisB

no just loosen it a bit just enough to push it to one side, if you carnt get in to the last bolt

good luck

Reply to
ford_technical_

The whole job is easy to do. Just be careful removing the torx bolt that appears on the bottom left of the 4. I found that if the screwdriver wasn't inserted perfectly, which it might not be if the ignition wires are in the way, the head on the torx bolt could get chewed up. A 20 min job then becomes much longer. It's simplest if you just move the ignition wires clear and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Gren

Reply to
Gren

Just a thought before I do the job tomorrow evening after work.

Do I have to disconnect the battery terminals before doing the job or does it not make any difference?

LouisB

Reply to
LouisB

Darn torx bolts. Can't shift two of them and worried about stripping the heads. Trying copious amounts of WD-40 and banging them. Anyone got any other bright ideas? (Apart from shooting the miserable b*st*rd who invented them!).

LouisB

Reply to
LouisB

Drill the heads off and the coil pack will lift right off. Then you can heat up what remains of the screws with a torch and work them out (gently) with a locking pliers and penetrating oil.

Reply to
Mark Olson