Reset window washing plant (normal mode)?

Hi!

Does someone know if it's possible to reset the window washing plant to work as it used to in Ford cars for decades?

Meaning, *not* turning on windscreen wiper on press, effectively destroying them in short time as they move over the dry + dirty windshield.;(

This is really a major annoyance about the Focus, only that many other car manufacturers do the same, doesn't mean Ford has to do the same idiocy, only serving windscreen wiper manufacturers.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

It might be possible, by disconnecting the wire from the washer pump to the central timer unit. This way, the washer switch would only run the washer pump. To clean the screen would mean squirting the washer, then operating the wiper switch. I think this is what you are asking.

In practice, although this was something I didn't like when I first had my Focus, after 6 years I am not replacing the wiper blades any more frequently than on any other car I've owned.

What I find more irritating is that when you turn off the blower, the heating goes to recirc (unless demist is selected). I have tried to find a way to disable this "feature" without success.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

[..]

Exactly, it looks to me like the multi function lever does the trick, it's using at least two wires for the washer, probably one to give some "computer" the signal to turn on the washer pump and the other to signal turning on wishers for at least 5 times or so. Can't tell for sure don't have circuit diagram of the European Focus (1999).;(

Mh, perhaps you don't use them this often? Need to replace the wipers more often then with all other Fords, which didn't have this "feature". In addition to the much too small water tank, 3l or so, a joke!

Dunno what you mean with "recirc"? Can't find this word in some online dictionary. Haven't mentioned whatever? Probably due to the fact that ventilation is never switch off completely.

Another "feature", my Focus turns on AC if you switch to defrost without even switching on the small AC control light.;(

Reply to
Michael Heiming

I looked at the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual. The screen wash pump runs clockwise or anticlockwise depending on whether the front or rear screen is being squirted. Two wires, one from each end of the pump, go to the central timing unit. (The "computer" you mention.) I'm guessing that these wires turn on the windscreen wiper relay for a fixed time.

I found when I first had my Focus that it lost 1 litre of screenwash in a week even if I hadn't used the washers. It went back to the dealer 3 times, and had a modification done, but still did it. I eventually took the tank out and found that the breather at the top of the tank was too low. I extended it with a bit of rubber hose about 100mm long. This stopped it loosing that

1 litre. Maybe worth doing?

Sorry, "recirc" is a common UK abbreviation for "recirculation", where no outside air enters the vehicle. I forgot you are not from the UK, your English is so good!

My Focus is 1999, so doesn't have this feature. I would not be happy if it did this also.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In alt.autos.ford.focus Chris Whelan :

[..]

Perhaps, seems like I need the "Haynes manual" real soon, already tolerated this annoying behavior too long.

[..]

Mine shouldn't have this bug, IIRC it was fixed before mine was built.

The problem is the small tank, it's only about 3l my former Sierra had about 10l and that lasted quite a while.;)

[..]

[..]

Yeah, there's a button for something like this near the AC button, didn't found any usage for it until now.

;)

At least there was some reason you got a Ford...

Reply to
Michael Heiming

There are two connectors in the main junction box. C14 and C1000. No:1 pin of C14 and No:29 pin of C1000 are interconnected. If you can separate this connection and connect the C1000-side to +12 Volts, you can cancel the automatic wiper activation on washer activation. You must carefully isolate the C14-side of the wire because it is connected normally to + 12V).

Reply to
TheSurgeon

In alt.autos.ford.focus TheSurgeon :

Hi!

Thx, great info! Try getting my hands on the connection diagram asap, double-check what you wrote and try it out.

I'll report back to this ng, might take some time.

[..]
Reply to
Michael Heiming