shopping for 04' ZX3 questions / concerns

I am looking to get a Focus ZX3, most probably in the Comfort trim level. Below are some questions I"d like to get feedback on.

  1. Is the Audiphile system worth the money? Also, where do they put the subwoofer? I want to know if it takes up any useful space.

  1. Rear window and visibility. The view out the rear window seems small. I'm wondering if that is something people have noticed. If yes, did you get used to it over time?

  2. Quality problems. I have read many many posts and reviews on the Focus. It's very clear that quality control on the 00 and 01 model years was very bad for Focus owners. I'm not seeing many negative posts from 03 owners. Ford claims they have "cleaned" them up by 03. Comments welcome.

Thanks.

Reply to
me

I own a 2000 ZX3 5-speed and a 2003 ZTW 5-speed, neither of which have the Audiophile audio system.

The ZX3 view is somewhat restricted when backing up but you do get used to it. Driving forward isn't a problem if your mirrors are adjusted properly. Most people don't setup their mirrors properly, using their side view mirrors as rear view mirrors, duplicating the view they get in the rear view. This creates blind spots.

If you can see your car in your side view mirrors then they are adjusted incorrectly.

My 2000 ZX3 has not had any problems at all. I've taken the car in for regular service and had any recalls dealt with at that time. The recalls just haven't been a factor in owning the car.

I like my ZX3 so much that when it came time to get another car, I bought the ZTW for the extra cargo space. Both vehicles handle really well and while I would love to have more horsepower, they are adequate enough for the daily commute.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Stewie

Can't speak for the ZX3, but visibility out of the ZTW is the best I've seen. Standard sound system is awesome; I've had to scale back the bass a bit, so a subwoofer would be a waste.

Reply to
Rick Rivard

wrote

There were some quality problems with 00 and 01 models, but as the owner of a 2000 wagon I really think they were exaggerated in the media. I've been quite happy with mine the past 3 1/2 years. Most of the problems were fixed during regular service. Only once was I stranded on the side of the road. It runs great now.

Compared to three years ago, there are almost no complaints on this newsgroup about 02 or 03 models. Automotive journalists universally report that Focus quality is now up to industry norms. I am seriously thinking about getting an 04, not because my 00 is bad but because they have made so many upgrades.

Reply to
Dave Gower