Something is Making Noise

From the back end of my Focus wagon, something is thumping around. I believe I've isolated it in the spare tire compartment. Several times I've pulled everything out and carefully repacked it - with strips of foam to keep the jack and tire secure and quiet. Still, the noise persists. Any idea what I might be missing?

Rob

Reply to
Basic Wedge

I'll bet it is the rear door latch, my 2000 Focus wagon does the same thing. Irritating as hell, I've moved the bolt many times in an attempt to eliminate it, but it is very tough to get set correctly and the noise always comes back. I've more or less learned to live with it.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Thanks. I hadn't considered that. I'll look into it.

Rob

------------------------

"Mark Ols> I'll bet it is the rear door latch, my 2000 Focus wagon does the same

Reply to
Basic Wedge

Nope. It wasn't the rear hatch. Good suggestion, though.

I also removed everything from the spare tire well, took the car for a test drive, and still heard the knocking noise :(

The search for a cause led me to crawl underneath the car. Everything seems tight, so the answer may require a visit to the dealer for a trip up the hoist. Is there any sort of suspension component known to come loose back there and cause a knocking sound? I have extended warranty coverage, but I just know whatever this is won't be covered under it.

Rob

Reply to
Basic Wedge

I have just got a focus , only just a year old and have a rattle from the back if I go over speed bumps(slowly of course) that sounds like you have left the rear hatch closed but not fully engaged. I too look at the spare and all the bits packed inside. I mentioned it to the dealer at the first service, they said they had adjusted the door catch, but it still makes the same noise. I suspect something in the suspension , but have no idea where to look.

Reply to
Shrek

We're in the same boat then Nigel. I'm going to keep scratching my head; I hate to pay a dealer for fixing something so minor.

Rob

-----------------------

"Shrek" wrote ...

Reply to
Basic Wedge

I have a typical 2001 SE Wagon from hell here. My does the clunk. Get used to it. Dealer went over the thing and, like every other problem with it, refuse to admit there is anything wrong. Get used to it.

WR Ontario Canada.

Reply to
Bob Watson

I haven't had a look on my Focus (2litre Zetec ESP) but occasionally I get a "clunk" from the rear when I go over speed bumps. In the past, I had a Fiat Uno which did something similar and when the car rolled going around acute bends at low speed. THAT turned out to be the spring on the brake bias assembly (attached to the rear axle beam) binding through a bit of corrosion/road muck on the coil. A squirt of WD40 sorted that out. Not sure if the Focus has the same sort of thing as I haven't scrabbled around under it. If it doesn't, then it may be something else binding slightly in the rear suspension.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Reply to
Chris H

"Chris H" wrote in news:u5cdc.42356$ snipped-for-privacy@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

The original post was re: a wagon. The clunk is in the back. BTW, I had the "scheduled" link failure too. Right front. Two ignition tumbler failures. Anti-theft module failre. Wears out back tires every 20,000 kms. yadda yadda yadda the list goes on. Ford dealer and Ford Canada claim nothing is wrong. "Its a good car" etc. Last Ford for me.

WR

Ontario, Canada

Reply to
Bob Watson

Sounds like a similar problem I've got with my Mk3 Golf Tdi (I know I know this is a Ford Forum, I post occasionally in here as my other half has a 1.8 Zetec Focus) anyway, I get a banging bumping noise from the rear of the car when driving even on flat roads.

I've just had the car serviced, and the mechanic couldn;t find anything wrong with the suspension, I know the rear hatch closes tight, but he suggested it might be the rear passenger tyre, being buckled.

Just thought I'd offer this into the equation as another train of thought.

Regards Dave

Reply to
Khamelion

Know what you are talking about. My 2001 Focus ZTS when going over a speed bump or making a sharp turn sometimes the rear suspension makes a loud bong , or a thump. After "many" trips to the dealer with no results, the dealer could replicate the sound, but could not fix it.(they even took the suspension apart) the dealer had no clue. I had an independent mechanic look at it and he thought that the suspension spring were moving (twisting) and this was causing the noise. It looks that it a typical design flaw and nothing can be done about it.

Rob

Reply to
Info

Try this... If your model is 2002 or before, you might want to look under the car , in front of the the rear wheel on each side, right where the rocker panel starts at the bottom of the rear door. Look underneath, and you'll see a plastic shield on each side. I took those out, and my car does not have the noise anymore. The newer models do not have these shields. Try it

Reply to
Alex

Today, I stripped out everything from the back of my car - all the way down to the bare sheet metal.

On several occasions, I thought I had found the source of the klunk, a loose wiring harness in the liftgate, a loose, unidentified (?) plastic panel under the floor carpet, a pen trapped under the rear seat. Ultimately, none of these proved to be the source of my frustration.

My car was so fully stripped down, it looked like a ralley car back there :)

Finally I climbed into the back, closed the liftgate and bounced around until the sound reappeared. From that excercise (and I can tell you, it _was_ excercise) I determined that the sound is coming from beneath the car - possibly a loose upper shock mount. I'll look at those plastic shields, but I think this will turn out to be a broken suspension part.

I've done about as much as I can, without being able to raise the car, all that remains is for me to thank all of you for your suggestions and help. I'll lick this thing yet, but not until next payday :) Thanks again.

Rob

--------------------------------

"Alex" wrote ...

Reply to
Basic Wedge

MAKE SURE YOU TRY THE PLASTIC SHIELDS, before you look at the suspension....

Reply to
Alex

OK DUDE. CHILL OUT. I WILL!!! :)

I did take a quick look to see if my car has them. What do these shields protect, and what are they protecting against? If I knew that, it might be easier to pinpoint their location.

Rob

"Alex" wrote ...

suspension....

Reply to
Basic Wedge

Did your neighbors see you bouncing around in the back of your own car? Or is normal life in your neighborhood?

Reply to
TODD DAVIS