is this the forum for 86 pontiac bonneville questions?

I bought an 86 pontiac bonneville, and I have a bunch of questions about maintaining it --- is this the right forum, or is this for more up-to-date pontiacs? If this isn't the best forum for these questions, could you suggest an alternative?

I've had my bonneville for almost five months now, driving it a few tens of kilometers every other day or 2, and all it needs is gas (LOTS of gas) --- it doesn't leak any fluids, at all, and almost everything including air-conditioning works perfectly. I love the way it handles --- my friend says it, 'handles like an aircraft carrier'. :)

In case this is the right forum, I'll just go ahead and ask:

--- How on earth do you get the wire wheel covers off? I tried everythiung I could think of and I don't want to force anything, but if I have a flat right now, as it is, I can't change it because I can't get the wire wheel covers off. I have the jack and the spare tire and the lug wrench, but nothing for removing these darn covers.

---It was tuned up by the seller just prior to the sale, and over the last five months it has slowly become 'un-tuned' and although it still runs just fine (for a 20 yr old engine) it's now starting to make kind of diesel-ish sounds and has lost some power --- how realistic is the idea of tuning up the engine by myself? I've got mechanical aptitude but I've just never worked on autos before. My friend has a garage full of tools he's offerred to let me use --- can you tune up this kind of engine (the smaller V8) with everyday type tools or do you need something really expensive or unusual?

---Sometimes the left turn indicator lights don't flash, the left-turn indicator light just stays on continuously as long as the turn-indicator lever is in the "turning left" position. I noticed there are wires in the trunk that have been screwed with and there's some kind of connector or something black-taped onto the wires. How big a deal is this likely to be to fix myself? I've got a decent multi-meter. Where is the circuit that turns the power off and on to flash the turn indicator light? Is it in/near the steering column or is it integrated into the light itself somehow?

---Sometimes, when it rains, the drivers side window stops working untill the car dries out and then it starts working again.

---Are these cars good for fixing up? This one is in amazingly good shape. The interior is unbeleivably new-looking and there is only one small ding on the bumper. Almost zero rust. This is clearly a wet coast car (no salt damage from salt sprayed on icy roads east of the rockies).

Reply to
cyberhun

Here's my completely opinionated responses, below.

Are they locked? Sometimes you'll find them locked using a funny screw that's right under the center medallion. If it looks like the center emblem is made to pop out, look for a lock under there. You'll need to have the right tool to unscrew it.

Tuning is not about mechanical or tools. It is all about experience with autos. This doesn't sound too promising unless you can somebody in on it that has some experience.

Could be all your bulbs aren't getting power. It takes a big power draw to make the flasher work.

It's a simple round thing that makes noise when you're signaling. Use the noise to find it if you want to know where it is.

What they're really good for is driving them and getting your money's worth. They're pretty un-stylish, so they'll never be all that popular to spend tons of money on. They were kind of expensive in their day, but I don't think they'll ever be really cool collectors items.

Reply to
Joe

Yes. This is the place. This is an open newgroup, not exactly what I would call f forum. You can post about fixing your car here.

Does the wheelcover have a center cap that can be pried off? Try it. Perhaps there is a bracket bolted to the lug nuts that the hubcap is fastened to. If not, then just keep prying around the edge of the cover. There could be lots of teeth.

You did not say what the engine is. Probably a Chevy 305. I could tune it up. My ex-wife would not be able to.

Not enough current running through the flasher to heat the strip.

Could be loose dirty electrical connections, bad switch, or dirty gummed up regulator and tracks. You or your appointed proxy will have to find out which.

I can't answer that. It is a subjective question. If you like it then fix it.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Thanks for solving the mystery of the un-removable hub caps. The little 'hubcap' on the hubcap came off, and that's where the funny little wrench-like tool is used --- to unscrew the nut in the center. If I get a flat, now I can put the spare tire on.

I'll try to figure out some way of using my multi to determine how much current is being supplied to the flasher.

One of the reasons I got this car is because it's old enough that most of it should be relatively easy to diagnose and repair myslef, unlike late model cars that need a computer genius wearing a white labcoat to even look at it. I'll do some reading up on tune-ups. I think one of the main adjustments you make when doing a tuneup is adjusting the delay/advance of the spark-plug firing pulses --- I think there's a strobe involved? Anyway, I have some time on my hands and I like playing with mechanical stuff and this car is just begging to be 'played with', so I'll read up myslef on it.

Reply to
cyberhun

Thanks for helping to solve the mystery of the un-removable hub caps. The cover on the hubcap came off, and that's where the funny little wrench-like tool is used --- to unscrew the nut in the center. If I get a flat, now I can put the spare tire on myself.

You're right, I didn't say what size the engine was, because i'm not sure myself. The previous owner said it's a V8 (and obviously I can see it's a V8, but I don't know what size, I don't think it's the really large V8). I took a few snaps of the engine and put them in this folder in my webspace:

If you click on this link, your browser should give you a listing of 3 jpg pictures, each of which you can click to see the engine from the front and from either side --- can you tell what size V8 it is? I suppose the first step in figuring out how to tune it up would be to identify the exact engine-type.

I got one of the car's owner's manuals, but the manual that describes the maintainance schedule in depth, I don't have. It hasn't needed any engine oil (no leaks at all), and the tranny fluid level has remained rock steady, the coolant level is also unmoving, and the power steering fluid reservoir is also tight as a drum and never seems to need refilling. The air filter is brand new. Am I missing anything? Is there a website where it tells you in depth, how to do maintainance on this type of car/engine? I have access to lots of tools, I'm not afraid to get dirty, and I've got time on my hands.

Thanks again for helping me figure out the mystery of the un-removable hubcaps.

Reply to
cyberhun

Your car has a 305 V8.

Good Luck

harryface

05 Park Avenue 42,654 91 Bonneville 307.087
Reply to
Harry Face

It is a 305. And thanks for the pics. Most of us here like looking at car and engine pics.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Thanks for the response --- is this what they call a 'small block' V8 or 'large-block' V8?

Reply to
cyberhun

Reply to
cyberhun

Yes. A 305 is a small block

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

-- Paul Michaels

2000 Yamaha YZF-R6 Fort Lauderdale, Florida My Motorcycle & Travel Pics
Paul Michaels