98 corolla strange noise

Hi

i hear a very strange noise probably from the back of the car.it is audible/felt at low speeds. when i hit the gas pedal and release it(speed at 25mph) i hear a crank noise from the back.if i dont leave the gas pedal i dont hear any noise..the gears shift smoothly..no loss of power whatsoever..i tried my best to explain..i took it to a mechanic, he couldn't tell exactly and said its not a major thing..so just asked me to forget..

pls help..any ideas?

Reply to
abcdefg

Noises are very difficult to diagnose without actually hearing them, and I do not understand what you mean by a "crank" noise.

First, check for any loose items in the back of the car, the spare tire, anything loose in the spare tire well, jack, tools, etc.

Make sure the wheel lug nuts are tight.

Check to see if any exhaust parts are bent or damaged, if any exhaust hangers are missing or broken, or if any exhaust parts can contact the underbody, especially if the exhaust is aftermarket.

Check to make sure the fuel tank is secure.

If none of this stuff is the cause of the noise, check the brakes and wheel bearings.

Reply to
Ray O

When I had an odd noise like this it turned out to be rear shock absorbers. One of them wore out its lower bushing and was bounding around on what was left of it. It took me about a half hour to replace them. I did not see it when the car was on the ground normally, I only saw it when it was up on a lift. If you get your oil changed you might want to look for this while they are doing it, that's when I finally found it (after a couple of other folks were baffled). Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Good point!

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray. I also meant to add that I only saw it when it was up on a lift that had the wheels dangling, not one of those that one drives up upon and lifts the vehicle by the bottom of the tires. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Shock absorbers, struts, and rubber bushings are common causes of clunks and rattles in Toyotas. I should have listed them but did not, and you did!

Reply to
Ray O