Traction control performance

Does the ztw traction control actually help if you are trying to go thru deep snow at slow speeds, or is it a hindrance? Just wondering because I was reading in the Ford manual that if you get stuck in snow that they suggest you switch it off so the tires can aggressivly spin to try to get out . This seems at odds with what it should be doing -whch if I understand correctly it should be maximizing your torque to a useful level to get you out.

Reason for asking is that I am on a low priority street that gets plowed after the main streets. This usually means I have both snow on the street and a snowbank at a stop sign to deal with. Carrying speed through it is not an option due to poor sight lines, so I want some thing that can pull its way through. Best option would be a Subaru, but I'm looking for cheaper alternatives such as (possibly) the focus.

Thanks for the help F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant