Which year to buy? Read...

Two different years of U.S. SE's: 2002 and 2003. Both around $8800-9000, both around 20k miles.

I suspect that the 2003's are program cars, but on the surface I can't see why that'd bother me--I mean, how many ricers rent Hertz's to do 3000RPM neutral-drops? And I figure that Hertz would be more religious about their oil changes.

But the -02's have less miles-per-year.

What do y'all think? TIA

Reply to
SixSixSixtynine

I'd take the cars to the mechanic you normally use and see what they think about them... Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

On the off chance you are serious- stop and think about it for a minute.

Participation in newsgroups like this is highly self-selective. People who have few or no problems are unlikely to post to a Usenet newsgroup about their experience. Those who are having problems come here for help. Given the fact that the Focus is Ford's best selling model (IIRC) there are a *huge* number of potential complainants.

I'm not defending Ford or the Focus, just pointing out what might not be obvious to some. I happen to own a 2000 Focus, and it has had its share of problems, though none of them have been major so far (knock on wood).

Reply to
Mark Olson

Dan, I agree with Mark. Overall there might be two dozen folks reporting here in this group. (A small percentage of Foci owners) We come here to find help or offer help with the little problems that are Make Model Specific. Ours just happens to be the Focus.

I would buy another Focus in a heartbeat. Used or New. Maybe one of the 2.3 litre ZX5's.

-- Dan

2003 ZX5 2.0 litre Zetec 21.8k miles Sanguine Red "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it" - George Santyana
Reply to
Dan

Me. I love my 2001 Focus SE Wagon. I'll cross 72,000 miles tomorrow.

Previous two cars? Toyota Corollas.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

As a rule the 2003 Focus SE Wagon I have is tolerable. It has just over

50k on it now, picked it up in January 2002. Handling in the snow with the 15" alloy rims was touchy last winter, and the remote keyfob only works within 10 feet of the car :( I mounted 14" rims with Michelin mud and snow tires for this year and the last two snow storms seemed allright, but it still has a rocking feeling like a partly loaded oil truck in the snow. (but I've never gotten stuck in the snow). We'll see what today's snowstorm will be like.

Happy modeming. Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

"Dan" wrote

Not only would I, I plan to. The problem is that my 2000 wagon runs so well I hate to part with it. But I salivate every time a see a ZTW.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Reply to
Moe

::delurks a bit::

I agree with Mark, in this newsgroup there isn't a lot of chatter... unlike like in the Mustang where you can tell a regular from a lurker (like myself) from a random passerby just by the amount of replies you get in any given thread.

I think, the Focus, for all its problems early on isn't a terrible car, and I have a 2000... she's my baby as far as I'm concerned and I've have told off a couple of people who think that "Focuses suck" is a well thought out insult (misspelling is intentional).

So, to anyone who is looking at getting a Focus, if you like and the price is right, go for it. It handles nicely and behaves well. Plus, lots of room for aftermarket mods. ^_^

patricia

Reply to
Snowy Rose

That "rocking" feeling is normal for the wagon - you just have to get used to it. I had mine for 3 winter seasons and no snow tires and I did fine (but I did have ABS) on it. I had the 15" rims on mine. I had a 2000 wagon and the only reason I got rid of it is because I wanted the ZX5 so I got a 2003 in June. I did get snow tires this time...and I do notice a handling difference so far...this winter looks to be rough so we'll see what happens. Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

My 03 ZTW with the 16 inch P6s handles pretty darn good on the snow and ice. Yeah, it's got Advance Trac and all that stuff, but slowing down and planning stops & turns works better. I honestly thought before moving up to NoDak that I'd need snow tires--not for city driving anyway, pleasant surprise.

Reply to
Rapid Rick