2002 Camry LE - 1st year of model change - safe to buy?

I'm told you should avoid the first year a new model comes out. My current Camry is a 97, also the 1st year of a model change. I did have more problems than I would expect from a Camry, (The suspension is a problem)

Would I be better off to look for a 2001 (last year of the 97 redesign) or

2003 ( the 2nd year of the 2002 redesign ? What outweighs the other. Improvements in the new model like a more powerful 4 cyl engine. or the problems that can occur in a new models first year.

We're their any issues with the 2002 redesign that I should look out for?

Thanks for any input..

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

I bought a used 4 cyl. 2002 LE 16 months ago, it was a lease return. So I guess I took all the chances, it now has 95,000 KMs without a single problem in those 16 months. I wanted a

2002 because the engine had a timing chain, so no more $500 belt changes.

My previous Camry was an 89, also without any problems at

160,000 KMs. except it was due for a timing belt change. The 2002 has more power and gets better fuel economy, what more could you want.

Slim

Reply to
Slim Pickings

I've had my 2002 from brand new and have had no problems. Had to fix a minor squeak in the dash though but that's it.77000km on it so far.

Reply to
LOKI

I bought my 2002 Camry XLE I4 in November, 2001. Initially there was a problem with a cavity in a shift solenoid in the transmission casting that caused it to clunk and a lurch when shifted into Drive from Neutral. My dealer diagnosed it correctly the first time and repaired it by replacing the transmission with a brand new factory unit.

I also had significant dash board rattles. The dealer kept the car for a day and a half. They disassembled the whole dash and packed it full of foam tape to stop the noise. It has been quiet since.

Total cost of these repairs to me - $0.00

RunneBiker

Reply to
RunnerBiker

The 2002 generation has a transmission that shudders during 4->3 downshifts, as if it's hunting for gears. It's got the same strut mount noise problem and rotors that warp, if not already replaced under TSB'ed warranty. Make sure the intake manifold was replaced under warranty as it makes noise. Steering can wander a bit because of the front mounts. Rear mounts can get noisy like the 97s. The Denso oxygen sensors were real crap, and can shorten or take out the catalytic converter ($$$). But at least you don't get the waste spark system in the earlier generation that halves the life of plugs.

The 97 generation has engine sludge problems and a cheesy suspension. The idle air valve plugs up much more often than earlier 5sfe/1mzfes I guess after they took out the oil cooler. I guess Denso never really solved the same crappy heater sensor problem since 97 on. The new carbon evap canister can disintegrate and spew carbon dust into the system, causing EVAP purge MIL related lights.

How about getting a 06, with all the TSBs applied?

comcastss news groups wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

what kind of noise does the manifold make? can you send a TSB for it? also, any info on *The Denso oxygen sensors were real crap, and can shorten or take out the catalytic converter ($$$).*

thanks...

Reply to
JerseyMike