ZX3 or SVT?

OK, guys, this will seem like a pretty stupid question, but hear me out...

Since 1998, I've been driving the same 1995 Escort GT. It's been a great car, but some impending tranny issues are going to be causing its retirement. I'm flip/flopping between a 2004 ZX3 comfort w/ 2.0 and a 5-speed or a leftover new

2003 SVT 3 door (the local place has three of them, two plain and one w/moonroof, winter pkg., 6-cd changer and HID lights).

Now, as much as I think I'd enjoy the SVT, I'm not sure the extra cost (w/rebates, between 3,500 - 5,500, depending on which SVT I bought) about would be justified. Here's what I'm thinking... the ZX3 has about the same horsepower as I'm used to with the GT. The interior's a little plainer and it doesn't have 4 wheel discs, but otherwise, the specs are close to the GT's with better gas mileage. The SVT, on the other hand, is costlier, needs premium gas (maybe - any input on this?), has pricier tires, worse gas mileage than the ZX3 (and my GT) and might cost more to insure. It does, however, have a far nicer interior and stronger brakes, transmission, clutch, etc. The power would be nice, but I don't figure I'll take advantage of it very often.

If the dealer wants to dig really deep in order to move a 2003 model, the questions might answer themselves. What do y'all figure? Anybody had time with both models?

Thanks in advance. Tom

Reply to
CampyO

It's like this: the SVT Focus is by far the best car in its class for under $30K. It's better than the Neon+, Civic+, Celica GTS and, yes, the Subaru WRX. It may not be faster than all of these but it easily handles and rides better - much better. It's as at home as a daily driver as it is on the track. Very unusual combination. Everyone is different when it comes to car preferences but if these things interest you, go for the decked out SVT. The stereo's excellent, you'll love the HIDs and it'll be just as much fun to drive years down the road as it is today. Take it easy and you'll average

26+ MPG. but you DO need premium. As to the power, you'll take advantage of it every time you don't need to down shift. The SVT is as happy tooling around town at 2-3K as it is doing 7K power shifts. I love mine!
Reply to
SayWhat

Billy -

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!

Tom

Reply to
CampyO

I've had my SVTF since July of 2002. Winter package, moonroof, 6CD changer, etc. Its off the road from Halloween till Easter because I have winter beaters for the snow around here. I still managed to put almost 32,000 miles on it during the short driving seasons here. I'm very satisfied with the car.

Not ONE regret. Insurance is a little (but not much) more than the garden variety Focus. The SVTF eats tires every 18 to 25 thousand miles....BUT, I open track my car a minimum of two full days per year and I drive sorta hard..... that takes a huge toll on the tires. Despite the hard track and street use I'm still on my first set of brakes. The gas mileage over is 27-31mpg. The only time I've ever got below 27MPG is on track days.

Check the Focus NewsGroups and the SVTOA website for more Focus info.

I'd get the SVT anyday.

-Mike.

Reply to
Michael Keller

Resale value should certainly be a consideration as well. I don't have the data but I'd think depreciation rate is higher for the ZX3.

Reply to
JTH

What has to be considered is not the depreciation rate, but the depreciation amount itself, isn't it?

I am also puzzled that people give fantastic reviews on SVT but does not mention or compare ZX3. The original poster wanted to determine between the two... It looks to me that he is getting partial info.

Reply to
Canna Service User

Reply to
Michael Keller

Reply to
Untrusted

just bought 2004 svt, definetly the nost fun ive had driving in a while.

273 horsepower with a turbo? Whered that info come from please leave a link or the name of the company that sells them
Reply to
Mstngcnv96