'01 4.0 Ranger squeaky belt or something

My 2001 Ranger is making this awful squeaking sound as I go down the road. Sounds like I have a caged bird with me. I bought some belt spray today at an auto parts store but it didn't help at all.

I am still under warranty (barely). I will take it back to Ford if you can't help me. I thought it would be less of a time hassle if I could fix it myself.

Will me having sprayed something on the belt void any warranty work?

Reply to
Matt

Actually Dave, I didn't admit it, but the chirping did get even louder after using spray. I guess I'll let the dealer figure it out. I still have 2 months warranty.

Thanks for you help.

Reply to
Matt

Above the Oil Dipstick is a device that is mostly cylindrical, and I think it is the AIC or IAC (Idle Air Control) or whatever. On the side of that cylindrical device is a prominent black plastic knob-shaped cap, that turns freely. It looks like a knob, but turning it does nothing. Actually it is a cap, or vent-cap. Due to resonate-vibration, or defect, it can sometimes make a great (or small) amount of NOISE. If that is source of noise, yank/pry it off and throw it away. Done.

LS

Reply to
Larry Starr