'01 Ranger 4x4 Control Module?

Anyone have any experience with the transfer case control module going in a Ranger? This is my 3rd Ranger, and this is a first. I've had the truck a year and a half, no problems until a few days ago.

In cold weather, the truck won't go into 4WD. And this can be mildly cold weather -- as warm as 40F. I blast the heat until the cab gets warm, 4WD engages. I tracked it to the module behind the passenger side kick panel. You hear a relay when you engage 4WD from there. The problem is the relay isn't actuating until the cab warms up. The relay is inside a black box made by Motorola labeled 4X4CM. Probably a dedicated purpose PLC. Anyone have any experience with this? Google turns up zip.

Mark

Reply to
Mark S

Can the box be opened? I would look for cracked solder joints on a circuit board, especially on the relay connections.

Reply to
gw

It probably can, but I'm not inclined to do so if the part is the correct one I just ordered from the local Ford dealership. He called it a "transfer case changeover relay" and priced it under $50.00. I find this suspicious for anything with a CM, (control module) designation, and feel he might have the wrong part. We'll have to wait for it to arrive to see. I'm an electronic tech by trade, so know what to look for. I thought at first that the seal on the relay had gone bad, letting in some moisture that was sticking the contacts until the warm air hit it. Now that I see the black box the relay is in, it could be something electronic went south. But, electronics seldom go awry when cold and start working when warm -- it's almost always the opposite. So, I'm still thinking it's mechanical. Just looking to see if anyone else has run into this before.

Mark

Reply to
Mark S

I've got the exact same problem (exact same symptoms) with my 2001 Mazda B3000. 4x4 control module is Ford part# 1LS4-7H417-AC. Been working on it for the last week or so. Dealer says $145, junkyard can get on for $85, so I would bet you're not going to get the right part for

Reply to
fhayes

So thats why they got rid of lever activated transfer cases - so they make a bunch of money when the crappy electromechanical stuff breaks.

Reply to
Rob Munach