relay location for shift on fly F250

Hey guys, We have a 99 F250 powerstroke 4x4. We just got it back from the shop for some repairs to the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, the transmission had to be dropped to put in a new throw out arm. We just took it into town on icy roads and the 4wd seemed to be working fine on the way in. All lights were go, hubs were NOT looked in. After stopping at the store it would not come back on. No light, and no 4wd.

I looked through the owners manual, and cannot figure out according to the diagrams which is supposed to be the relay/fuse for the shift on the fly switch. If someone out there knows for sure which it is, please let me know. You can email me at: svtkate AT kizthiz.com

We checked the box in interior, it is the only box with relays, the under the hood box has only fuses. The owners manual refers to relay #1, the only reference I was able to find.

Of course, if we cannot get it resolved on our own, we will take it back to the shop. BUT it's Christmas eve, and will be a long weekend without the truck. The Cobra won't even be able to get out of the garage in this ice.

Thanks in advance for any ideas ya'll any have :) and a Merry Christmas to one and all.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top With a personal touch... or two.
Reply to
SVTKate

Sorry I can't offer any help, but after reading your post, I am even more glad I ordered my 2005 F-450 with Manual transfer case and manual locking hubs...

Good Luck And Merry Christmas

Reply to
351CJ

Well now, here's something to consider. We bought this truck a year ago. It was used and it now has 90k on the clock. Still young in the life of a truck like this I know. BUT - we do have manual hubs, 6 speed manual tranny and everything had been working fine until it went to the shop. It's the manual transfer case that we are lacking.

We suspect that something either got bumped or blown diring the R&I of the tranny. There is no telling what this truck went through during the first 78k miles while it was in Texas. It looks as if it had been maybe a ranch truck or a work truck. Not really abused, but not owned by Joe the commuter. It's a good truck, things just go wrong when they get some miles on them.

When the dealership opens up on Monday, I'll call them.

Happy Christmas CJ

Kate

| > I looked through the owners manual, and cannot figure out according to the | > diagrams which is supposed to be the relay/fuse for the shift on the fly | > switch. | > If someone out there knows for sure which it is, please let me know. You | can | > email me at: | > svtkate AT kizthiz.com | >

| > We checked the box in interior, it is the only box with relays, the under | > the hood box has only fuses. The owners manual refers to relay #1, the | only | > reference I was able to find. | >

| > Of course, if we cannot get it resolved on our own, we will take it back | to | > the shop. BUT it's Christmas eve, and will be a long weekend without the | > truck. The Cobra won't even be able to get out of the garage in this ice. | >

| > Thanks in advance for any ideas ya'll any have :) and a Merry Christmas to | > one and all. | >

| > Kate | > 98 Cobra Drop Top | > With a personal touch... or two. | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I don't know the solution as I have manual everything. However, I believe that the transfer case uses a motor to change operation. A motor must have some sort of connection. Craw under and look for a loose electrical connection.

Reply to
Mellowed

Reply to
Pete

Pete & Mellowed, Will check these and post back Thanks! Kate

| > I looked through the owners manual, and cannot figure out according to the | > diagrams which is supposed to be the relay/fuse for the shift on the fly | > switch. | > If someone out there knows for sure which it is, please let me know. You | can | > email me at: | > svtkate AT kizthiz.com | >

| > We checked the box in interior, it is the only box with relays, the under | > the hood box has only fuses. The owners manual refers to relay #1, the | only | > reference I was able to find. | >

| > Of course, if we cannot get it resolved on our own, we will take it back | to | > the shop. BUT it's Christmas eve, and will be a long weekend without the | > truck. The Cobra won't even be able to get out of the garage in this ice. | >

| > Thanks in advance for any ideas ya'll any have :) and a Merry Christmas to | > one and all. | >

| > Kate | > 98 Cobra Drop Top | > With a personal touch... or two. | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I'm going through something very similar right now with my 2001 Ranger. No 4WD until I blast the interior heat for a few minutes to warm up the

4X4 control module behind the passenger side kick panel, then it works fine. I suspect the relay in the box is sticky. I have a new one on order. For the heck of it, try blasting your heat if you're not in a warm climate for a few minutes and see if you get 4WD back.

Mark

Reply to
Mark S

I'll tell him to give it a go, and get back to you.

| >I looked through the owners manual, and cannot figure out according to the | >diagrams which is supposed to be the relay/fuse for the shift on the fly | >switch. | >If someone out there knows for sure which it is, please let me know. You can | >email me at: | >svtkate AT kizthiz.com | >

| >We checked the box in interior, it is the only box with relays, the under | >the hood box has only fuses. The owners manual refers to relay #1, the only | >reference I was able to find. | >

| >Of course, if we cannot get it resolved on our own, we will take it back to | >the shop. BUT it's Christmas eve, and will be a long weekend without the | >truck. The Cobra won't even be able to get out of the garage in this ice. | >

| >Thanks in advance for any ideas ya'll any have :) and a Merry Christmas to | >one and all. | >

| >Kate | >98 Cobra Drop Top | >With a personal touch... or two. | >

Reply to
SVTKate

Hewy Mark, He was just pulling it out of the shop when I told him. He said that it had stopped working while we were running errands, and the heat had been cranked up.

Sorry...

Kate

|| >I looked through the owners manual, and cannot figure out according to | the || >diagrams which is supposed to be the relay/fuse for the shift on the fly || >switch. || >If someone out there knows for sure which it is, please let me know. You | can || >email me at: || >svtkate AT kizthiz.com || >

|| >We checked the box in interior, it is the only box with relays, the under || >the hood box has only fuses. The owners manual refers to relay #1, the | only || >reference I was able to find. || >

|| >Of course, if we cannot get it resolved on our own, we will take it back | to || >the shop. BUT it's Christmas eve, and will be a long weekend without the || >truck. The Cobra won't even be able to get out of the garage in this ice. || >

|| >Thanks in advance for any ideas ya'll any have :) and a Merry Christmas | to || >one and all. || >

|| >Kate || >98 Cobra Drop Top || >With a personal touch... or two. || >

|| || || || I'm going through something very similar right now with my 2001 Ranger. || No 4WD until I blast the interior heat for a few minutes to warm up the || 4X4 control module behind the passenger side kick panel, then it works || fine. I suspect the relay in the box is sticky. I have a new one on || order. For the heck of it, try blasting your heat if you're not in a || warm climate for a few minutes and see if you get 4WD back. || || Mark | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks Kate

Hope you get it fixed. Mine is definitely being caused by the "4X4CM" module. I localized it a few minutes ago by letting the cab get cold until it wouldn't go to 4WD. Then I hit the module with a heat gun, and it started working. I'm hoping the internal relay is the one Ford sent my mechanic, as it's $50, and the module assembly is $150. It looks like it's meant to be opened, so hopefully it'll be fixed tomorrow.

Mark

Reply to
Mark S