1991 Ranger STX 5spd 4x4 - anyone know of particular quirks?

Hi. I've posted this to a couple different groups and I'm looking for as many opinions as I can get.

One of my coworkers has a 1991 Ranger STX 4x4 with a 2.9L, 5-speed, extended cab with approximately 222,000 miles on it. He's looking to sell it, and it would be great for my lawn mowing business I have for extra income.

I drove it and it drives pretty well, but am looking for opinions on a couple items.

  1. It pretty clearly needs front rotors, as there is a distinct thump-thump-thump when the brakes are applied. I usually do this type of work myself, and found out the local AZ wants ~2 a piece. I also found that NAPA has them for a piece. Seems strange that there's such a broad price difference. Is there anything else about these brakes that I need to know, given that it's a 4x4? I'm hoping they would be turnable.
  2. I heard a whining sound from the drivetrain when my foot was on the accelerator. I suspect that it may be the front axle shafts turning (hubs were NOT locked), but am not sure if the sound was normal in a 4x4.

Beyond those two items the vehicle is in decent shape considering its age: the body's straight, paint is even and the intererior is pretty decent. The A/C won't blow cold anymore, but he said it does when it has a charge.

We worked out a price of $900 - is there any thing that this model is known to have problems with that I need to keep an eye on? Does anyone have any experience with one of these? Is there anything specific I should look for? I've owned an '84 with a 2.8, and an '87 with a 2.3 4cyl and had no trouble with them (except for the Mazda tranny in the 4cyl...stupid shifter coming loose) but they were both 2wd. Maybe it's my longing for nostalgia, but the Ranger has been one of my favorites.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
GMach3