01 Ranger A/C pressure?

cbp wrote earlier: "...You should first check system pressure w/o engine running, then when system is operational...."

What should that pressure be?

I checked low-side pressure with a refill kit. The low-side connector is on a vertical tank (accumulator? receiver-drier?).

Engine off, pressure @85F ambient is about 85psi.

With engine idling, A/C on max, the compressor cycles 2 seconds on,

5 seconds off. Initially, pressure varied between about 35psi and 55psi, compressor on/off. Then it seemed to stabilize at 35psi. Checking a while later it was up to a steady 55psi. Checking later still, with fan running in front of the car, it initially cycled between about 25psi and 45psi, compressor on/off, then went again to a steady 55psi. I decided to try a shot of coolant. Adding a shot of coolant would initially shoot pressure up to 65psi, then when the compressor came on it would drop back to 55psi.

also wrote cbp: "and this one for what you should expect to see for system pressures at various ambient temps."

It sure doesn't appear to be low, but how can it possibly be high if the A/C worked when new? I appreciate the reference, but diagnosis with the chart requires high-side pressure, which I can't measure.

thx, nf

Reply to
nutso fasst