1972 300 6 cyl

hi I wuz wondering if i could turn the engine over untill the rotor points to the number 1 cylinder, then get it to TDC, & then put the plug wires on according to that, following the firing order on the manifold ?? My Nephew has everything pulled off & doesn't remember how he removed anythin & didn't mark anything,, dumbutt. And,, it's 125 miles up there, & he's gonna have to move in 2 weeks. So,,, Thanks in advance for any and all help on this. Richard

Reply to
rix53

Yes, that is exactly how it is done. However, you must be sure that the number one cylinder is coming up on compression when you line up the timing marks. Easiest way to do that is to remove the spark plug on the number one cylinder, place your thumb over the spark plug hole and have someone turn the engine over in brief spurts until you feel compression. Then, you can set static timing by lining up the timing marks. Steve

Reply to
sf/gf

"" wrote: > hi > I wuz wondering if i could turn the engine over > untill the rotor points to the number 1 cylinder, then > get it to TDC, & then put the plug wires on according > to that, following the firing order on the manifold ?? > My Nephew has everything pulled off & doesn't remember > how he removed anythin & didn't mark anything,, > dumbutt. And,, it's 125 miles up there, & he's gonna > have to move in 2 weeks. So,,, > Thanks in advance for any and all help on this. > Richard

Sounds like a plan to me!! :D

Reply to
SnoMan

That will work and you can even take off valve cover if you are so inclined to verify the both valve are closed and that number 1 is at the correct TDC position relative to cam timing.

Reply to
SnoMan