vehicle fails smog check - Suggestions?

Hey All,

Well, arghh, if it's not one thing it's another... I just failed our provincial smog check.

Vehicle is a 1988 Nissan Hardbody pickup, 4x4, 2.5 liter, 4 cylinder, 2 plugs per cylinder, gas engine, manual tranny.

I failed hydrocarbons (HC) at idle and nitrogen oxides (NOx) at driving under load:

HC at idle: Average "pass" reading: 31 ppm Max allowable: 228 ppm Vehicle reading: 296 ppm

NOx under load: Average "pass" reading: 295 ppm Max allowable: 1231 ppm Vehicle reading: 2998 ppm

Any thoughts out there as to what I should start checking?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
Geoff Glave

My standard suggestions:

Do a full tuneup including a plug and air filter change. Change the oil and use the highest viscosity oil that's allowable for your area at this time of year. Run a bottle of "Chevron Fuel System Cleaner" through a couple of tanks. Get the car really, really hot before taking it in for a test.

FYI - your readings look really high... I think you might have other issues besides tune-up (above).

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Looks like you might have 2 problems. NOx under load is most likely your EGR. There are a couple things in the EGR circuit to check.. A cracked hose is the usual suspect here on a car that is as old as yours. Check the vacuum lines first. There should also be a "vacuum switch" or valve in the vacuum path to the EGR valve. If that isn't allowing vacuum through after warmup then your EGR won't work.

Failing HC that badly at idle is a different problem. As another poster suggested, it is time to check basic tune-up things such as plugs, rotor, timing.

Good luck. Gary

Reply to
Gary

To pass Air Care, you can do one of two things.

a) actually fix the problem, ie. do a tuneup/repairs, etc. as recommended by others here.

or, b) if your priority is simply to pass the test, what I do is temporarilly alter my ignition timing to

0 degrees, and then put it back to 10 deg BTDC when I get home. By doing this, I have avoided replacing ~ $350 in emissions parts by removing and bypassing them. (specifically that damn rusted out filter housing thing right above the ignition coils). My '87 truck (same engine) passes with flying colours every time.

You should check the Air Care website if you decide to fix it yourself. I can't remember if they require you to show invoices to prove the repair was done or not.

Did I mention I think Air Care is a scam?

Reply to
Anonymous