1988 f250 4x4 302 or 351??

The 400's from what I can tell were all setup with the 385 series bellhousing pattern from '73 on. In '72, there were some 400 blocks that had a dual bellhousing boss cast in that could be drilled for either 335 or 385 series bellhousings. I had one in a Torino drilled and mounted to a small block C6 from the factory. I still have the trans as a spare for my 351C. I understand 400 blocks with the small block pattern are fairly rare. You will also find it referenced in the HP book on building small block Ford V8's.

Another thing I seem to remember was a 377 cid version of the 385 series that was only used in medium duty 500/600/700 trucks.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

The FE's don't have the same pattern. They have their own. The C-6 came in all three patterns. Small block, FE, and 385. After doing further research, I see that the original 335 was the 351C, then the 400 and the 351 modified were added to the series. All three of these engines were considered small blocks. I stand corrected on that issue.

Reply to
Steve Barker

you can tell by the bolt patterns on the valve covers if it is a 351 or a 302 the 351 has a criss-cross pattern and the 302 has 3 on top and bottom and are aligned with each other. you do know there are 3 different types of 351 right?

Reply to
Jennifer Naples

Actually, the 289, 302, and 351W valve covers will interchange.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader