F250 Towing

Hey Gang, Looking for some info on 300 ci, straight 6 with a stick in a F250, I want to tow about 7000 lbs.( Race and trailer ) I had a guy tell me that the 300, 6 with a stick is better to tow with than a 302 w/auto trans is he right ? Found an 87 with 80,000 miles on it. Any thoughts ?

Mike

Reply to
mike

well, considering that in 87 a 302 probably had an AOD (Atrocious, Obnoxious, Dismal) automatic behind it, the 6 w. manual is better

how about finding a later model.....90-up with a 351 and E4OD combo?

much better engine and transmission

of course, the usual advice abouot big external cooler applies with that kind of load

if you plan to keep it a long time, a preventative-type overhoul of the E4 is a good idea, update it with the steel OD planet package, big pump, Superior® Shift Improvement Kit, and an 'RV' style converter

Reply to
TranSurgeon

It -should- do it, personally I would look for an F250 with a larger engine, EFI is possible. The AT's are generally rated to tow more then the MT's (by Ford). Which ever tranny you get, plan on service.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Yikes! I guess you aren't in any hurry.

I have no doubt the engine and a standard trans are up to the task, but it will be a sloooow ride. If you are only staying local, then probably not a big deal. Otherwise, I think you will grow frustrated with the 6 cylinder dragging that much weight. As suggested, you might look for a 351 powered truck. (Personally I'd go 460 or V-10 since a person can never have too much power!)

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

I think the guy is right. However, it's pretty unusual to see an F-250 with a 300 in it, and I doubt if anybody in the group has ever towed 7000 pounds with one. It's going to be slow.

Reply to
Joe

Mike,

If you want every big rig and grandma in a 4 banger climbing up your ass every time you are on the highway jump on this 300 6. If you would rather be able to flow with the traffic, got for a big block of diesel.

Reply to
351CJ

I owned an 87 300 inch six. First year for port injection on the 300. It was junk. I had it back to Ford many times and it never ran right. Mine was the so called heavy duty "granny low" four speed. It got lousy fuel mileage and was not much for power. In contrast I had a older F350 flatbed with a 300 six with a carburetor. Also a four speed manual. Much different power wise. It was a fine truck, and the reason I went with the 300 in the 87. I'd pass on the 87 and look for at least a 351 if I was going to pull 7,000 pounds.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

How many starters did it eat till they changed the flywheel and ring gear ?

Dad's went thru 7 before somebody wised up................

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I sure hope its downhill both ways...I haul a lot of firewood with my

300 six, but its a sloooowwww drive, and I'm guessing its less than a ton on it. Cant imagine hauling 7000 pounds with it.
Reply to
J Grant

Reply to
mike

Yup... I really like the 351 for a mixed use truck (ie towing and not)

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg