1990 F150 TPS sensor problems

1990 F-150 4x4 5.0L 4 speed auto - Finally got around to work on the truck a bit yesterday and managed to locate some new gremlins I guess. July 4th, the truck would not shift or idle at all. Someone suggested vacuum leak, so I pulled the brake booster line for a vac check and the engine sped up. Plus it's real hard to start warm as it appears to be flooding out. My milage has also gone out the window too. Finally started getting a Check Engine Light yesterday so I was able to get the codes pulled from the ECM. Only one code came up- "TPS over voltage". $35.00 later, and I am still getting a check engine light with either the new or old TPS module. I cut apart the old one for giggles and cleaned all the gunk out of it and it now measures 3.86 like the new one with a smooth resistance change down. Anywho, if I even unplug the TPS while running, I get no change and the engine is still getting too much fuel. I located the TPS wires with my line tracer and used contact cleaner on all the plugs I could find but it still doesn't listen to the TPS. Now what?? Seems that the ECU isn't getting a signal or it is but it's ignoring it. How often do the computers die in these trucks?

Any other ideas on where to start diagnosing?

TIA

Reply to
anon1981