1992 Ranger 2.3L Running Lean?

Hi Group My Ranger acts like it's running too lean when the engine is cool or when I shut down for an hour then start up and take off. Kinda bogs down for a minute, then is ok.(Just like it needs choking!!!) The coldest morning here, so far, was about 65 deg. F...and when I started and left, it ran noticably better....like it used to . I am suspecting the temp sensor is failing, but am unsure. I have no check engine lite on. The plugs are pretty new, the mileage is good, everything runs great after the initial problem. The truck has lots of miles on it. I am in South Louisiana. Any ideas on what it may be causing the problem ? Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Pete

Pete, first does your check engine light work? It should come on when you first turn the ignition on and go out shortly after startup. Sounds like a electronic mgnt problem check on the light functioning as leaness in a fuel injected vehicle is rare.

Reply to
Fred Mehlos

Hi Fred Thanks for the tip. Yep, the lite works good. In fact, it indicated a malfunctioning PVC valve about 6 months ago that I fixed. What gets me is that in cool weather it runs on startup and drive off ...just fine...no hesitation/stumbling. On a warm morning -or after sitting and cooling off a bit- it does the stumbling thing for a second or two. This has started in the last 3 months or so. Startup is great. Any more ideas will be appeciated . Thanks again. Pete

Reply to
Pete

When was the last time you cleaned your injectors? Sometimes some residue will settle and dissolve within a minute or two and it won't be enough to show up on the 'puter. I'd give it a try and if all else fails, take it in for the scan.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Thanks Jim How do you clean 'em ...do you run something thru the engine or remove 'em ? Thanks again Pete in La

Reply to
Pete

I'd try one of the better brands of injector cleaner in the fuel tank. Be sure and read the directions! More isn't necessarily better. Most bottles will treat up to 22 gallons so be sure to allow for a smaller tank. If that doesn't work - I'd take it and have it done.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara