A4LD Question

I recently bought a 85 Ford Bronco II with a sick A4LD. The OD isn't working along with the reverse. Has anybody had this same problem and how much $$$ did it take to resolve it. another question is about the polution controls on same vehicle. The previous owner removed almost everything for the polution controls on it including the EGR Valve. I read somewhere that without the EGR this tranny won't shift correctly. I need good underhood shots of this motor to see exactly what went where and what all I'm missing.

Reply to
FordBlueBlood

what you have is no reverse and no third; you are getting OD on top of second, which is equivalent to third

this is the most common failure mode of the A4, the sealing rings on the 'center support' which seal oil to the high-reverse drum break and lose oil

you need a good independent transmission shop that does a lot of trucks to work on it............the early A4's needed a lot of upgrades to make them reliable; once done, however, it is a decent, snappy-shifting little unit if you keep it cool and don't ask it to do more than it is capable of doing, tho with a 2.8, that's probably not a real concern

as for your missing 'stuff', go to a general repair garage and see if you can locate a 'Chilton's Vacuum Diagram Manual for Domestic Trucks' covering that year

most places are reluctant to throw those manuals away, you can probably get them to make copies of the relevant pages

85 was the last year for carbs on B-II's, and the plumbing is a snake nest.............good luck

e-mail me if I can be of any more help

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

a disconnected EGR valve won't allow the tranny to shift properly

Reply to
Butzin

bull

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

~ Re: A4LD Question "Butzin" wrote in...........

a disconnected EGR valve won't allow the tranny to shift properly.....

snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (Gary=A0Glaenzer) responds....

bull

shit

Scrib Abell ~~finishes what Gary started~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Reply to
FordBlueBlood