1994 f-250 Stalls when stopped unless in first gear

My truck is doing something wierd I stop at a light and if it is in drive or second gear it will lurch like trying to go forward then the engine dies if I restart it and put it in reverse drive or second it dies but if I put it in first gear it is ok this is a E40D automatic tranny is it tranny problem,switch problem computor problem anyone with simular problem???????

Reply to
welding

I'm a real novice, but, having had a couple of E4OD's and studying about them, I'd wonder if you don't have a problem with the MLPS, the Manual Lever Position Switch. It's the piece that replaced what we used to call the backup light switch. The difference is, it tells the computer exactly which gear you've selected. They were pretty common failures, and the replacement piece is a redesign to fix the problem.

Just a guess,

Reply to
CJB

could also be a problem with the torque converter look-up system

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I am with Whitelightning on this one. It sounds like the lockup clutch on the torque converter is not unlocking and therefore trying to hold the transmission in 3rd or 4th gear. You might think its getting back to 2nd gear, but it probably isnt, and if the lock-up i still engaged it puts the trans into direct drive, meaning that the engine is directly coupled to the rear wheels. You need to take this to a tranny shop and have them check it out.

Pk

Reply to
pkurtz2