1994 Ford F-150 and Junk Yard Motor

Son wanted to replace motor in his truck (he is my stepson) with a motor from the junkyard to get the truck on the road faster.

The motor we received came out of a van, no idea what year, but it is a 5.0L motor.

My research into the van 5.0L shows that they were available up to 1991 in the E series van.

My question for you gents is two fold.

What is the difference in electronics between the two? (The motor runs, but not great. Everything bolted up, hooked up and looks right in my opinion. However, the motor does not run quite right, nor does it have any power.)

I am pretty sure that the firing order is different between the E series van motor and the 1994 F series motor, but wonder if the electronics is running the fuel injection properly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed Stammer [Stuck with the lemon, but making lemonade as fast as I can.]

Reply to
Edward Stammer

The firing order is the same in the 5.0 series regardless of vehicle, but slightly different between the 5.0 (302) 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8and the 5.8 (351W) ,1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8 Be sure you have the firing order correct for your specific motor. One engine may be sequential fire and the other batch fire, but the harness will work, while the computer may not.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

IIRC, the van was updated before the F series. The 5.0L in the trucks up to 1991 was a flat tappet engine, and roller cam in at least '93 up. There are some big differences in calibration and performance. Fireing order is not the problem. Even though the flat tappet ane roller engines had the same ratings, they did not perform the same and are calibrated differently. If your engine is drilled and tapped for roller lifters, you may be able to install the roller cam kit for some improvement. The Hollanders manual should give the differences.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Research in the Haynes Manuals and Ford Manuals shows that firing order is different for the E-series 302 prior to 1991 and the F-series motor for 92 and up.

Why?

Reply to
Edward Stammer

Remember also that Ford numbers the cylinders diffrently than GM, Dodge etc.

Stephen N.--->been caught by that one...

Reply to
Stephen N.

Can't answer that one. Been around the 302 for a long time, don't recall a different firing order for them.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

yes, what's interesting to think about is that the 15426378 order ford used is exactly the same as the 18436572 that GM used. Think about it. Draw pictures.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The early 302 were the 15426378

the boss 302 and the late ones (don't remember what year they changed) are

13726548

The crankshaft did not change. The cam did though. only the 54 and the 37 swapped places to help even out flow in the intake

Reply to
Steve Barker

They used 2 firing orders at the same time in the late 80's. When the MPI

302's came out in 86, the Mustangs (HO motor, SFI) had a different firing order from the batch-fire MPI engine in trucks, town cars, and that sort of thing. Eventually I suppose one firing order must have won out over the other, creating year-over-year changes in firing order. There were a bunch of revisions to both versions, as we all know.

This doesn't tell you why, or a whole lot elese. It seems to me when you start swapping motors around, just realizing there are two different firing orders is all you need to know. If you don't know which you're dealing with, I feel sure that you are smart enough to figure it what the firing order is if you absolutely have to. There will be SFI engines where you'll want a computer and the camshaft to agree on what the firing order is. If the computer you're using is batch-squirt then it may be okay either way, or at least it seems less stupid.

Reply to
Joe

As far as firing order, most have the order stamped on the intake also...

Reply to
David Coleman