1999 Ford Ranger: loud whining noise

I recently bought a 1999 Ford Ranger with 52k miles from a dealership. It whines pretty noticeably, maybe within 10 mins of startup. I live in Atlanta and it's pretty warm here so I run the Air Conditioning. BUT this happens with or without the AC running. The noise cease mometarily when I accelerate. It's a steady high pitched whine. What could this be?

Someone at the tire shop mentioned that his Ranger truck whines also. And this was typical of this model Ranger truck...I believe he mentioned it was the steering pump???? Any one heard of this?

Thanks for helpful responses!

Reply to
Steve Yee

If it's the power steering pump it would have a noticeably change when you turn the steering wheel. It might be the alternator also check your transmission fluid.

Reply to
Doc

Auto-magic or manual?? The wife's car whined like crazy until I put in a new clutch throwout bearing.

Reply to
invalid unparseable
*Automatic* I REALLY wanted a manual, but finally got talked out of it. Here in Atlanta, I would be shifting gears all the time. I drive mostly in town and the traffic is constant. It's a little hilly here also.

Thanks for responding.

Reply to
Steve Yee

hehe, I hear ya. I thought VERY seriously about the 6 speed in my SD then I realized my left leg would grow HUGE from holding in the clutch pedal in traffic...

Reply to
invalid unparseable