1999 Ford Ranger Problem

I have a 199 Ford Ranger. It has been running great, but al of a sudden when I started it up today the ABS light came on and stayed on, then I drove it down the driveway and when I pulled onto the road the O/D Off light started flasjing & the transmission started shifting REALLY hard.

Any idea what's up with my truck? I haven't had any indications of a problem until today.

Todd

Reply to
Todd Carnes

I'd wager your alternator is failing. Put a voltmeter on it.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

You have set a code for the tranny or torque converter. Most likely a slippage/overheat situation. The tranny has gone into a "Protect" mode. The pressures have increased to make the shift quicker and with less slippage. That's what the flashing OD light and the hard shift are all about. It may have been a freak thing that will not reoccur but that is unlikely. Try disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds. That will wipe out the code in the computer. Reconnect the battery and try again. If it works normally, fine. If it repeats this bad behavior, you better take it to a tranny guy. Anyone but AAMCO. Oh yes, and arrange a second mortgage on your home.

Reply to
Tyrone