1999 Ranger 3.0L At what milage should a timing chain be changed, what dammage can it do

I am in Hawaii on the Big Island Kona side.

I recently bought a 1999 Ranger 3.0L. At what milage should a Timing Chain be changed, what dammage can it do, if it breaks? Must it be done by the dealer? What difficulties are there in a do it yourself replacement of a Timing Chain

Some local mechanic was saying that at 50,000 miles Forf Trucks had Timing Chain breakdowns and urged me to ask the ford dealers about it.

I did but a secretary answered and promissed 2 weeks ago someone would get back to me and no one has. last week I called back, I was told it will be done as part of a package service at 60,000 miles, I asked if the Timing Chain alone can be replaced instead of a package, how much did the chain cost, was it plastic or metal, if I myself wanted to do the work, and again no one called me back as promissed. Can anyone help me with this?

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Why do you want to change it??

That'll be a really good giggle for the dealer... In other words, the mechanic is full of shit. The 3.0L should exceed 200K miles on the stock timing set, my fathers Sable with the 3.0L Vulcan got broadsided by drunk at 325K miles, the engine/trans was put into an '89 Taurus, which still runs. It don't go anywhere (tranny died) but it runs well...

They're still laughing, I imagine....

Sounds like you're too paranoid about this vehicle breaking down, possibly you should try *not* worrying about this timing chain, drive the truck, and enjoy yourself...

SteveL

Reply to
pakeha

Most chains last the life of the engine. It is only models with belts that need to be replaced at 60,000 or so. Don't worry about it breaking.

The mechanic that told you this work at jiffy lube?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

____________________________________________________ Thank you ever so much for the information, and is my 1999 ford ranger one with a belt ot a chain? Is my chain Plastic or what material is it made of? ( I think he said Ford made some plastic chains that are cheep to get but can cause dammage when broken.)

Reply to
Dick

If I were you, I'd track down an owner's manual for your truck. The dealer can get you one, but with a bit of searching, Ebay would be cheaper.

If your truck has a timing chain, and I'm guessing it does, the chain is metal. The gears, or at least part of them, may be plastic. They do wear out, but you should be able to push well past 100K before worrying about it.

Get the owner's manual and it will tell you what service needs to be done when. (A dealer is looking to make money..... they will tell you anything!)

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4

Reply to
Matt Mead

I do not want to take it off, was told by what now seems a jerk, who claims to be a Ford Mechanic that the chains are made of plastic and break causing unbeleivable damage, He said he read it about the Fords of my Truck's vintage. He urged me to ask the dealers about it, so I did.

I am thankfull that you think it is horsemanoure and will enjoy the truck, which runs like a Top and gives me 30 miles/gallon going up and down 1500 feet climb each day and that is quite pleasing to me. the ride is so pleasurable I am glowing now for 30 days I have owned it 2nd hand with

51,000 miles on it.
Reply to
Dick

Sadly I went to napa and got a boock written by Chilton, and it is for Ford Vewhicles ( 3 of them including the Ranger) and the years are from 1991 to

1999 which does not dedicate most of the book to my truck. I will look around for a better book this one I paid 23 bux and it really does not address many of my questions fully enough to where I can do the repair I wanted or learn about the timing chain problem if any.
Reply to
Dick

Don't confuse owner's manual with a service manual. I urge you to get the owner's manual to see what service is due at what point. The owner's manual will put this info in an easy-to-read chart.

As for a service manual, I'd skip the Chilton and similar that cover a broad spectrum of years. You are better off going to Ebay and finding the Ford factory service manual for your specific vehicle. Paper and CD-Rom versions are available.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

Thanks, on e-bay I see a 1998 ford ranger shop manual 2 of them actually. But mine is 1999 and none are for sale for mine, but maybe I will keep looking as it could change

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Dick, I got this link from somebody earlier on this list. Seems to be slow right now, but I was able to download one for my truck earlier. Straight from Ford...best of all... Free.

Check to make sure link doesn't wrap

Reply to
Russ Braaten

______________________________________________ I was looking for a shop manul more than owner's manual I have a friend thatb has the owner's manual so I can look up some of what I need there but the book I bough sux it hardly goes into any details that a shop manual would, so I do thank the suggesters to get a shop manual and will keep looking for one

Dick

Reply to
Dick

I went to the site and it is Down :) thanks for the link

Dick

Reply to
Dick