Front end shimmy

I was out driving my '68 bug when I went over some pretty bumpy railway tracks at about 50kmh. The front of the car started to shimmy and shake to the point I thought I had broke something. I slowed down to investigate and the shimmying stopped. I haven't had it since and can't figure out what it could be.Anyone else ever have the same problem.

Cheers

Wayne

Reply to
curly

you can always jack up the front and shake things like the tie-rod ends. Maybe the steering damper is on the way out? good luck.

Reply to
your name

Not too much play in steering box, link pins or ball joints?. This and previous suggestions pretty well cover all bases. The torsion bar front end is damn near indestructable. It,d be too early for the McPherson Strut front end which was prone to wobbles.Good luck John

Reply to
John

Turned out to be a steering damper. works like a new 40 year old car again

cheers

Reply to
curly

Speaking of shimmy, did anyone ever figure out what it was in the front end of the 71 and 72 Super Beetles that caused their nasty shimmy? I has a 71 SB that had new front end parts (struts, stabilizer, and bushings) but the shimmy never went completely away. Great car and with a 15 year old daughter, wouldn't mind finding another one. Andy

Reply to
Busman

Reply to
trey

I think the general consensus here some years back, pointed to one bushing in particular and its quality, the inner bushing of the lower location bar. Not entirely sure of the correct name for it.

It has to be replaced by a stock unit as the aftermarket ones does not cut it. It goes without saying, all else needs to be intact/fully functional as well, this includes balance of rims/tires.

IIrcc,

had the bushings in stock some years ago..

I had a look, and it seems they still are available:

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Some shaking can come from improperly balanced wheels or tires that are not perfect. I have heard that the wheels can be properly bolted to the drum and balanced as a unit. The Super Beetles are really picky! 8^) I like to lift up the front end and spin the front wheels/tires to examine if they wobble at all. ;-)

Also: Wheel Bear>

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

trey, what is your front tire's pressures set to? too much pressure makes a super do terrible things...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Reply to
trey