How to align front end

My steering gear box was leaking, so I bought another one from a junkyard. I also picked up a new pitman arm. I put them on and now when I am driving straight, the steering wheel is looking off at 10 o'clock. Does this sound normal? Can I re-align it by turning the tie-rod end couplings? I guess if I turn one side 2 revolutions and the other side 2 revolutions it should not affect the alignment, correct?

Reply to
Guppy

I did it like that and it worked ok....I did go later on and have the alignment checked as it was a new truck for me....when they check the alignment, they will center the steering wheel also. You gotta do some thinking in reverse to get the wheel to turn in the right direction. Good luck Pete

Reply to
Pete

It sounds like you didn't have the new steering box centered when you installed it, or you put the pitman arm on "off index" if that's possible, or some combination.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The piman arm has 4 master splines, so the only way I could miss is by putting it on 90 degrees out and this is not the case. I was thinking the same thing. I made some calls and found a few shops that do front end alignments for $40, I think I am gonna give up and take it to the pros.

Reply to
Guppy

A $40 alignment is a Toe Set at most, which I guess is all you really care about. You pretty much can't screw up on installing a Pitman arm, if your

90 degrees off you have worse problems. If you want to be really cheap about it, you can use a Tape Measure and adjust that way, Measure from the front and back of the tire at the same locations and adjust toe in a 1/8" at most, if the wheel is not straight, you can adjust the tie rods however way they are to correct it. If the wheel is off to the LEFT, you want to adjust the Wheels to the Left, One tie rod longer, the other shorter. That depends if the tie Rods are in front of the tires or behind the tires. You don't need to go to much generally. That's cheaper then a $40 so called alignment. I don't see how a shop can stay in business with $40 alignments. Oh I have some good Idea's, but I won't scare you off.
Reply to
JBDragon

I realize your post is a few days old, but is the drag link adjustable?

Reply to
Ed H.

Why not, most cars don't need much of anything adjusted anyway and the new equipment is all automated and very fast.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher