2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L gas mileage problem?

"Donut" snipped-for-privacy@donut.net wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Don, I appologize for top posting. I was unaware that it was a problem. The reason I do it that way is because I believe that it makes for an easier read, and if people are keeping current with the issue at hand, then it should not be a problem. I understand that some older generations of Usenet users won't like this, but I am not from that generation; however I try to have consideration for others, so I hope this is better. As to your comment about research being easier for me to come up with, well if I talk with my instructors then I am sure they can give me all the material I need. However, thanks to the WorldWideWeb, the information that you seek is at the hands of anyone with a computer. I just did a search five minutes ago on "gas mileage research" and it came up with about a thousand hits, and on the second one I looked at it actually said to follow manufacturers specifications for tire inflation, both quoting over-inflation and under-inflation as a source of fuel mileage loss. Keep in mind when doing web searches though, some common sense applies, and websites that end in .net or .org will tend to be the more trusted sites to have "good" information. The sites that end in .com are usually commercially based, and usually say things so that they can sell a product. As for producing the research I have read, I would have to go back 10yrs to compile everything. I have picked up various bits of information by reading material produced at shops that I have worked at, and through information produced in the classes I have taken. Also, as you said "taking my examples *way* to literally". I can only base my arguments on the "facts" which are given to me, and back up my arguments based on that. If you had come up with different, more real world, examples. Then I would have analyzed your argument and put it up against what I have been taught, and read over the years. Then I would have either agreed, or dismissed your argument and provided the information as to why.

Here are some links that I picked up off the net for you. I realize that the first one ends in .com, but I think we can all trust CNN.. LOL

I had a feeling you would like this site, since you already used to inform me of my top posting.

Hope these fine useful. I did notice that only first one said anything about over-inflating your tires. Anyway, have a good one, I have to get started on a head gasket job now..

Reply to
pkurtz2

Hi.

"Keep in mind that OVERINFLATION of your tires will actually HURT your gas milage. The reason for this is because it changes the "footprint" of the tire on the road, or the amount of tire you have in contact with the road. Overinflating tires lessens how much tire is on the road and contributes to slip. The more slip you have, the worse milage you will get."

And

"So if you overinflate your tires, especially on the rear of a truck, then you have increased the amount of slip exponentially."

These are your statements that I'm having trouble with. The first statement I believe is false. If you want to say that overinflation (and we still haven't said by how many psi) will cause poor handling or poor tire wear or less effective braking, then fine. But you are saying that it will hurt your gas milage, and I've not seen you produce any evidence that corroborate that statement as fact. As a matter of fact, the first link you sent sorta hurts your argument.

The second statement: While I'm very well versed in how to search the web, I was fairly certain it would be hard to find the same research you were using to cite those exponentially numbers. That's why I asked you for it/them.

Remember, I'm only speaking to the issue of overinflated tires and their effect on milage. You say it has a negative effect, ON MILAGE, I say it doesn't.

Here's just a bit of stuff I found, one of them from you:

"Method: We drove the 55-mile test loop four times at 60 mph — twice with tires at or above proper inflation. Once, we did the test with the tires 5 psi below the pressure recommended by the manufacturer. Since this produced very little difference we enlarged the gap and under inflated the tires by 8 psi. We felt that it was important to make sure the tires were inflated to the recommended level or above." This from the link you sent.

------------

"Good inflation: Drivers waste millions of gallons of fuel each year due to under-inflated tires. Maintaining optimum tire inflation is one of the best things you can do to increase fuel economy. Inflate your tires to the upper limit of the manufacturer's recommendations."

"Harder tires present less rolling resistance and improve gas mileage; therefore, the Buick Estate Wagon outperformed our expectations based on our regression model, which did not account for tire inflation pressure. In our model Tire Pressure is a lurking variable, variable that seems to help in predicting gas mileage but is not included in the model."

"and keeping tires inflated to the maximum recommended pressure can improve your gas mileage."

Me again.

I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone in an "official" position suggesting that one "overinflate" one's tires past the recommended maximum (due to liability), but they sure do seem to suggest that you keep it as close as possible. But one wonders, considering "Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.4 percent for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires. Properly inflated tires are safer and last longer." what every increase in psi (over the recommended max) would bring?

Any way, I'm done with this discussion. Unless you can produce evidence that shows moderately over inflated tires decrease gas milage, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Have fun with the Head Gasket :)

Don

<snip>
Reply to
Donut

"Donut" wrote

....if under ...overinflation reduces gas mileage because it reduces the footprint of the tire on the road and contributes to slip. The more slip, the worse mileage. If you overinflate your drive tires, especially on the light weight of a truck rear, slip increases exponentially. ______________________________________________

Friction physics illustrates that slippage is independent of the footprint area of the materials (pavement and rubber). That is: F = U x N where F is the frictional force, N is the downward force on the tire and U is the friction coefficient, probably about 0.4 for pavement and rubber. Contact area is not a factor, because as contact area is reduced, the unit pressure (tire force divided by footprint) increases inversely to keep friction constant.

Almost all the energy loss in tires comes not from slippage, but from flexing in the tire as it rolls. The wasted energy appears as heat you can feel by touching the tire instead of as power for the car. The higher the pressure, the higher the mileage. This is true for overinflation pressures as well, so even dangerous overinflation will improve gas mileage, at the risk of early wearout (from distorted treads) or blowout.

Reply to
Rodan

i'm embarrassed to admit (after my previous post and much anguish and hassle) that after driving two (17 gal.) tanks of fuel i'm getting 20.4 mpg, oh, but, and very happy to admit too!!!

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon