302 cams

I have a 1979 ford F 150 with a 302 .I have Newer H.O. parts heads etc.Can I put the heads and the cam out of H.O. motor. In the older

302 if I change the firing order.
Reply to
bainbridge215

According to this article:

, you should be able to. Although I cant speak of the validity of this article, maybe someone else can. Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

The cam dictates the firing order in that swap.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

.....also, I was thinking but not sure that the HO heads on a 302 HO or Boss, were Cleveland, but I'm not sure.

The Windsor heads and cam work very, very well on the 302, as do the 289 heads.

Good luck,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

so all I should have to do is change the cam and put 85 H.O. heads on the 79 302 truck motor change the firing order .and it should run better then the stock 302. in 79 I think is was rated at 145 HP does any body know what kind of HP gain I am looking at her ballparked. the

85 HO cam is a roller do I have to use roller lifters in the truck 302 or change rods.
Reply to
bainbridge215

Yes, provided it's from a 302 HO. Be sure to measure your rods, and, yes a roller cam will work provided it's for that specific motor, but there are a lot of if's. I can't say for sure with this limited information. You'll need a better timing chain setup too. The '79 truck motor came with flat-top pistons, and was / is a good motor for a buildup. Pay attention also to where the dipstick goes. On some it goes into the block, some into the side of the pan, and on some into the front timing cover. This plays a big part in answering will the block work in your application or not. Plan on it being a very thirsty engine.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Do you think I would be better off getting a regular towing or pulling cam for the truck with the orginal firing order and made for lifters and not use the 85 H.O. cam just use the heads off the mustang.

Reply to
bainbridge215

That depends on what you plan on using it for. A towing cam doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the 302, from experience. Decide what you NEED the engine to do, then build it from there. Plus, the more radical the buildup, the shorter the expected life span of the motor. You might be better off with a lower (higher numerically) ring and pinion swap in the rear end, if you're looking to breathe a little life into it's response and take off. Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

actually yes, its the same concept of changing the 350 timing and getting more power out of it but be careful what cam u pick. Lunati makes a hell of a cam.

Reply to
Jennifer Naples