4.9 300 inline 6 engine

Am looking to buy a full size bronco w/ this 4.9 inline 6 primaraly for the fuel economy. What I'm reading does'nt give me much hope though. what are the benefits to this engine aside from the reliability(which i value)? Is this engine easy to work on? Are parts easily found? The 2 broncos i'm looking at are both early 80's models. I've driven an inline 6 before, but in a dodge aspen. I understand that i won't be draggn with this truck.

Reply to
joe

If taken care of it will run forever. It will pull a house down. Things it's not: Fast off the line its not, a speed demon on the 1/4 no, but it will move down the highway Gas sipper not close, it can be a very thirsty beast.

regardless of what engine 4.9, 5.0, or 5.7, early 80's model broncos and fuel economy are two things that wont go together

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Mind if I ask what you're planning to do with the vehicle? If you really don't need a full size, I'd point you to a 4 cylinder Ranger. I have two of them, and have found them excellent.

First, I get 20 mpg in city driving, and upper 20's on the highway. In the real world, you're likely to get 12-13 mpg in an F-series or Bronco in the city, and no more than 18-20 on the highway. That's just the way it is. Even a 4.0L Ranger would be better than what you'll get in a full size.

In short: if you don't need a full-size truck, you'll do far better in fuel economy with a Ranger, plus, they're cheaper to purchase.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

My kids love my Ranger SuperCab. They fight over who gets the jumpseats!

CJB

Reply to
CJB

My God man that must be hell. How can you stand it. Unless it's two girls. I love a cat fight.

Reply to
monkeyboy via CarKB.com

WTF man?

Reply to
phaeton

You won't see better fuel mileage from a 4.9 inline six than you can get with a 5.0 V-8, PERIOD. Some folks claim better some worse, over all there is absolutely no fuel mileage advantage.

My first hand experience has always resulted in better mileage from the

302/5.0 than the 300/4.9. Yes the 4.9 has some LOW RPM torque advantages, but on the highway, they are totally blown away by the V-8.

Parts are MUCH more plentiful for the 302/5.0. Many hundreds of thousands more of them were manufactured than the 300/4.9, and many more after market parts are available...

As a daily driver the V-8 beats the Inline-6 hands down.

Reply to
My Names Nobody