rumbling sound eighties inline 6

I finally got a new(er) engine put in my '82 F100, and it's the same size, a 4.9 inline 6 from an '86...I'm really happy, 'cept for the mileage :+) , but I notice an identical deep subtle growl from the truck when I get out on I-85 above 60 mph in 4th gear (overdrive)...there's a noticable deep rumble (not unpleasant) from the engine...I wish I could be more specific.... otherwise it runs like a dream...is this familiar to anyone?? thanks to a GREAT newsgroup! Paul snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
pmbedard

Yea too bad the news group is dying, Re: your odd noise, is your transmission a standard and did you install the pilot bearing.

regards Gill

Reply to
Jagren

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:40:44 -0700, pmbedard rearranged some electrons to form:

Just curious, why did you replace a 22 year old engine with an 18 year old engine? Seems like you went to a lot of trouble, and the wear on them may not be all that much different.

Reply to
David M

Uhhh--letsee---I'm poor, and not many choices...I would have liked a

302, but the 6 is really a "slide-in", and my mechanic is excellent, so I've learned to leave him alone...he keeps my '72 VW running, and that's saying a LOT here in Newnan, GA...:+)
Reply to
pmbedard

Yes it's a 4-speed, and I dunno about the pilot bearing...I let a mechanic do the install for me...

Reply to
pmbedard

It's common that when an engine is switched from an automatic transmission to standard the pilot bearing is forgoten to be installed. Thus the input shaft not supported and it will prematurely wear out the input bearing in the transmission and give you the weired gear noise during acceleration and decelleration. Ask your mechanic he will appreciate knowing his mistake if one has been made.

Reply to
Jagren

Personally my choice of engine would be a 390 over the 302. The 390 has better low end torque and will give you more miles per gallon plus many more servicable hours of work. Small cubic inch engines just dont cut it. If you were top add a vacuume gauge you would see the differance.

Reply to
Jagren

Bullshit! The 302 is Ford Motor Company's most successful engine ever. I have run 2 of them well over 200,000 miles, and a third over 300,000. Your

390 IS NOT GETTING 16 miles per gallon (or better) in a truck with 3.55 (or lower) rear end gears!

The 390 is an obsolete non smog compliant dinosaur, It doesn't not hold a candle to the 460, and would be a pour choice to transplant into a 1982 pickup.

Reply to
351CJ

Good job hijackin' the thread. Be sure and keep it off the subject with an idiotic series of arguments that nobody cares about.

Reply to
Joe

Who the hell appointed you the Conversation Police, Joe? Piss Off with your idiotic attempt to control how people discuss Ford Truck related issues on a Ford Truck news group!

What exactly was your "ON TOPIC" contribution to the original post? If you are not interested in our ON TOPIC conversation, MOVE the hell along you inimical...

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
351CJ

I've got another question about my '82 F-100>>>

Just how fast is it supposed to go on the interstate? It seems to absolutely top out @ 75 mph...this is alright with me, as long as it's normal....4.9 inline 6, 2 barrel, 4 speed, longbed.... you can debate endlessly - I would put a 302 in if I could...it's a light engine, and since this truck is for daily driving (40 miles total), I don't need more torque... (sigh)...I remember my '65 Mustang fastback w/Keystone mags, Goodyears, 289 single 4 barrel, 4-speed...that car could blow off 427 smog-'vettes back in the early seventies...if the 302 evolved from the

289, it is a WONDERFUL powerplant!! hey, I appreciate all comments - it never hurts to learn...:+) and since we're ON topic, does anyone want to buy a '72 VW Super in the GA area? thanks! Paul
Reply to
pmbedard

That sounds about right, and any acceleration from 20 to 75 miles per hour takes twice as long as it would with your 302.

By the way, what kind of mileage are you getting, I have never gotten better then 12 MPG with a 300 six... I have gotten 18 MPG in a car and 16 MPG in a truck with a 302...

Reply to
351CJ

FWIW the speedo on my truck only goes up to 85 MPH. I've never tried to go faster than 75. The wind noise is enough of a deterent, besides the speed limit. Also, my truck accelerates quite well. Perhaps the transmission makes a significant different there.

I get 15-18MPG, most often 16, with my 300 (1993, fuel-injected, 2.73 rear end, 5-speed Mazda).

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

I THINK I'm getting about 12 mpg... I have 2 gas tanks, and just fill up the front one with 93 - it was $2.03 a gallon today here in the Atlanta area... I've got to fill the back one up with a lower octane and see if it runs okay...any thoughts on using regular, high test, etc.??

Reply to
pmbedard

For your 300 inline six you get nothing out of higher octane gas. You try it and see, it will not run any better on the more expensive "high octane" fuel, you are just wasting your money.

Reply to
351CJ

Acceleration and top speed would also be dependent on your final-drive ratio...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Provided the engine produces enough horse power and torque for it to matter....

The carbureted 300 inline sixes suffer terribly from fuel starvation in the front and rear cylinders, due to the distance from the carburetor, that is why the electronic port fuel injection was such a drastic improvement for these engines.

Anyone who has ever driven a carbureted 300 inline six on the highway knows exactly how crappy they accelerate at highway speeds, well anything above 20 miles per hour.

I've driven them with 3.00 and 4.10 rear end gear ratios, they are anemic either way.

Reply to
351CJ

Don't fear bad MPG it just means good power from more gas and oil is infinite because more plants are growing now. You should be proud of that rumbling and could step up to a V10 to make it even sweeter. Of course the eco-weenies want to take away ALL our power and castrate our big American rigs. How could we tow a MasterCraft with that?

Steve

Reply to
Educated Republican

What is your rear gear ratio? I guess the limit would depend on how far you want to push the rpm's. With my 300, and the 4.10 rear I have, I'd be turning about 3280 rpm at 75 mph. Too high for my blood for everyday use...In general, I try to keep my rpm's under 2800 for average cruising. Will add a little extra life to the engine...300's don't really like to run at overly high rpms, being they have a pretty long stroke. They are made to have high torque at lower rpms.

this is alright with me, as long as it's

It's probably fairly normal. The engine only has a 1 bbl carb, and your gearing may be fairly low.

The 300 has more low rpm torque than the 302.

It's good for cars, and street trucks that don't do much heavy hauling. But it needs to rev much higher to achieve the torque a 300 gets at low rpms. In my view, the 302 is better for a play truck on the street. The 300 is a better work truck engine. I like and have had both. My present 68 F-250 has the 300 six... Myself, I don't mind the 300. I'm not in a race, and the 300 has torque-o-plenty. It's also a very tough to kill engine. Usually...Many go 200-300k easy. I'm about in the same boat as you. I replaced my original 300, with another rebuilt 300. Much easier than trying to gather all the needed parts to change engine types. One thing... You might want to invest in a tach. That will let you know your rpm's, and if you might be pushing it a wee bit hard at speed...Sure, a good tight 300 will probably do 3200 rpm all day long, but it will last longer if you keep it under 3000. I try to keep mine under about 2800, and usually putter along at about 2700. "appx 60 mph". At 70 mph, I turn about 3060 rpm. That's about as high as I would ever push it. My engine still has less than 10k miles on it though...I kind of baby it...:/ MK

Reply to
Mark Keith

My recently rebuilt 300 gets probably 16-18 mpg. Depends on the speed...I'm running a 4.10 rear...I do pretty well as long as I don't crank the rpm's too high. One thing...My old 68 f-250 has power nothing. That can make a difference in mpg...MK

Reply to
Mark Keith