4x4 will not engage in all three settings auto, 4h, or 4L

A friend of mine has a 1998 ford ranger that does not engage in any of the three settings auto, 4H, or 4L. It has on the dash dial to engage the 4 wheel drive. When you start the truck the indicator lights (all three of them) blink 4 or 5 times and then shut off for about 10 minutes, then while you are driving they will all blink, 4 or 5 times again. We have replaced the Multi function module, disconnected the motor of the transfer case and checked it to make sure it was working properly. We also manually turned the shaft to engage the 4 wheel drive, into 4H and 4L. We are not sure what to do next, I was wondering if there was a way to reset the main computer to recognize the new module, or to reset the 4 wheel drive somehow? If anybody could be of assistance to me it would be greatly apprieciate? Thank you very much! E-mail is snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Josh41272 via CarKB.com

Manual hubs? Auto hubs? Aren't the Ford auto hubs vacuum actuated? Didja check the vacuum lines? Does the transfer case actually engage the front drive line?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Kev-- when was the last time you saw "hubs as we knew them" on a late model 4by under 3/4 ton?(with a solid axle at that)

The way I read the symptoms; it's something to do with the electronics; possibly a rotation sensor or something similar. Mind you, I've never been into one of these; just SWAG. I've seen some very strange symptoms on newer larger trucks with massive electronics that totally defy "old school" mechanical logic.

Reply to
nobody <"" spam.info

Try disconnecting the battery for 30 min or so to reset the computer.

Reply to
Bartholomew Dilligaff

Dunno about under 3/4 ton, but I saw an "old school" setup when I did front brakes on my '02 Super Duty last November. Manual hubs, manual X-fer case. I *KNOW* when it's in 4wd. :)

Precisely why I opted for the full manual setup on my 4wd..

Reply to
invalid unparseable